Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my green tomato mincemeat after all the chopping was finished and spices added and just starting the cooking ...

I had a glut of green tomatoes and had enough sliced in the freezer as well as some tiny grape ones made into pickles and chow chow with cabbage abd onions and peppers and wanted something new ...I still have half a cloth grocery bag of green tomatoes to do something with ..LOL

I started out with this blog ...but am happy I read everything before starting since I also read a comment that helped me to double and use ingredients had on hand ..

I used her updated version but also added things from the commenter Sheila Z...

I added green firm crisp apples equal to the amount of my green tomatoes and put in 5 medium oranges and the peel and 1 lemon and the peel ...I used all ground spices ....and used 3 cups of packed brown sugar and half a cup of cider vinegar...I am hoping that the addition of the apples will help to naturally thicken the whole thing but if not I can always thicken with a cornstarch slurry when I get ready to use it ..
I'm not sure how long it is going to take to cook down but right now my house smells AMAZING!!!!!

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/making-the-most-of-green-tomatoes/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cooked it on very low for a couple hours and then WBC 11 wide mouth pints ..

It isn't a thick pie consistency but if need be I can thicken when I am ready to use it ..

It looks like store bought and tastes even better than any I have ever had !

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did something like this once but added different spices and called it chutney!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts