Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what we get when we pick a lot of tomatoes, and the darn stuff is HARD to get off completely! I'm tired of the greenish brown stains on our towels -- besides buying greenish brown colored towels, how do y'all solve the problem of getting the green completely off of your hands and arms? (*Before* they hit the towels!)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I thought I was the only one with this disease! :) Soap and hot water usually take care of it for me. You might want to keep a bleachable towel around just for drying off after tomato picking.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Maybe washing your hands and arms in a light bleach water will probably take off the green stain. I use the bleach water to take off blackberry stains from my hands during black picking. Whenever I pick tomatoes and green beans, the insides of my forearms gets really itchy and rashy. I have to wash really good and normally put on lotion of some sort. Take Care.

·
Registered
587 Posts
my dd and i both use one of her homemade lotion bars BEFORE we go out in the garden. slather it on thick all the way to the elbow then when we come in everything on top of it washes right off and your skin feels like silk.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I'm curious about the homemade lotion bars. Would this be the place to ask about them?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I guess this would be the place :shrug: My dd is a beginner beekeeper and so are her brothers. To try and raise the money to buy beekeeping equipment she read a book on items to make and sell that use honey or beeswax and came up with lotion bars. She blends different oils with beeswax and essential oils and pours them into cutesy heart shaped molds to harden. You just rub it on your skin and your body heat melts it. I thought they would be gross feeling but they are awesome. You can check out hers at her website www.thompsonstalents.blogspot.com If you email her she might tell you how to make them.... she's a pretty sweet girl. Or you could just google "lotion bar recipes"

I hope that helps at least a little.... I wasn't sure what you wanted to know :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Migrant workers and ol farmers alike always picked a green tomato and "washed" with it. The acid cut the green and then they rinsed with water...I know this is blashemy to those with just a few tomatoes but..it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.