Green Scours

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Titans Hedgerow, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Titans Hedgerow

Titans Hedgerow Member

Hi, I am new to the boards!

I have a neighbor and friend whose dairy goat has completely liquid green scours and a temp of 106. The doe cut her dewclaw recently and she hasn't been wormed for several months.

Anyone have an idea of what she might be dealing with?

I recommended worming and Bounce/molasses added to the water. I haven't seen anything like this in my years of keeping goats.

I'll check back in and properly introduce myself later.
    Kim in IN

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I would treat for coccidiosis. Is this an adult or a baby? Coccidia usually doesn't affect an older goat, but it can if they are stressed. Green is usually the indicator. Albon is my drug of choice for it. Or Dimethox.
    Where in Indiana are you? I am in southeast Indiana, Ripley county.

3. Titans Hedgerow

Titans Hedgerow Member

Hi Wendy,

I'm not sure about the does age. I think she may be 2-3, she freshened in March. Our weather has taken a turn for the hot and humid, but it has been warm and wet--perfect worm weather. I know P rotates pastures, although they do have a common hay feeding area. I didn't know Coccidia could affect adults. I'll pass that along.

I am in Southeast IN, Scott county. We have had goats for 9 years and we have a motley crew. Nubian (1), Nubian/Boer (3), Boer (2), and Alpine/Saanen (1). I have a very low-key approach to goat-keeping. I rotate pastures every week, worm on the first day in the 4th pasture, feed a very small amount of grain, and mostly sit back and enjoy! My husband and I have been married 19.75 years, have a 17 year old son, and a 16 year old daughter.

Our username was my son's idea. He calls the 4 big does "the Titans" and the last part is a pun on our last name!

Thanks for the information.
    Kim in IN

4. jimandpj

jimandpj Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy and Kim,

It's my goat that has the scours. She is a two year old nubian. She freshened in late February. Her temp is down this morning from 106.4 to 103.1 (I did check her herdmates' temps, and none of them had a fever).

Last night she received:
    molasses water free choice (didn't drink much)
    probios 5 gram
    Fort Vit B 5 cc subq
    Cydectin 1cc per 25 lb orally
    10 cc kaopectate
    60 cc bounce back water (gave twice)

She is not eating. She nibbled some fresh straw. She has repeatedly been grinding her teeth. She did urinate this morning a decent amount. Last night the scours were completely liquid. This morning it is still very loose, but there is a minimal amount of "solidness" to it.

Would you treat an adult with the same dose you would a kid? Dimetthox 40% 1 cc per 10 lbs for 5 days or until scours stop?

BTW, Wendy, I'm in Clark county and Kim is in Scott county.

PJ

5. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I would still treat her for coccidia just in case. If an adult is stressed it can hit them & take them down pretty fast. Dose the same as you would for the kids & make sure you finish the full round of meds just like you would any other time. I would also give Vitamin B complex for a few more days. That will help with her appetite. Everything you gave her is upsetting her rumen, so make sure to give her some more Probios & then keep some baking sode out for her.

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a vet once tell me that a adult goat can not get cocci. That is not true at all. I have a girl bring her goat to my place to board, and it did have cocci and died. She was two years old, I have also had others with what I thought was cocci, so I took a fecal sample to the vet and sure enough they had it, so please do not think they can not get it. I would take a fecal sample to the vet if possible. Along with the one that died, her older brother had cocci also, he was three at the time, he was so bad that the vet had to give something stronger, plus I had to do the CHORD along with it. If you have other goats I would treat the water for all the goats. If you have other livestock, they can not have Chorid. The fever is what has me thinking I would not waste time, I would take a sample in or even her if possible. Good Luck Prayers are going your way.