Green peppers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hears The Water, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, silly question but hubby and I are confused. Are green peppers just immature peppers of another color like red, yellow or orange? I am looking at the new Baker's Creek catalog and they list yellow, orange, red, and then also a green pepper. I thought that they are the same as the colored ones just not turned yet. Someone please enlighten me.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

You got it right. They start out green and turn colors at maturity. There are a few that are brownish or pale cream before turning colors, but most are green.

3. piddler

piddler Member

I guess it depends on the type of pepper you have, but all the ones that I have ever planted, have turned red at maturity...but believe me...not too many got a chance to turn another color. We love green peppers at our house.
    piddler

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

You Are Right. I Will Have To Remember To Ask Them At Baker Creek When I Go There In The Spring, Why They List A Red Pepper. I Can Understand The Yellow And Purple, But All The Others Turn Red Sooner Or Later.

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

in addition to yellow and purple, I've seen white, orange, brown and lilac. since i live in a tiny world here, i bet there are others as well. What a funky salad all those would make :D