Green liquid in tire I repaired?????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Nov 20, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Yet another tire went flat on Ranger and havent got it on road yet. Bead leak so break it down, wire brush, paint, put it back together. This one however had some green antifreeze looking stuff run out when I broke the bead. I cleaned it out before remounting tire. Just wondered what the green stuff was. Never heard of anybody putting antifreeze in a truck tire before and a tubeless one at that.

Another nice surprise, while I had wheel off, I thought ought to pull brake drum to see how shoes are wearing. No innards. No shoes, no hardware, no pistons in the wheel cylinder. Drum is deeply grooved probably cant be turned. Takes a genius to disable half the brakes on his truck. Whats got me is the master cylinder is full up and I cant find where the genius crimped the line. Didnt do it where I could see it from the back and not up around the master cylinder. Guess I got to trace line from front to back. Oddly the front rotors are in excellent shape. Do need to put in new pads.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

A lot of people put antifreeze (about 1/3 to 1/2 filled) in tractor tires to help with traction. I never heard of anyone putting it in vehicle tires that rotate at highway speeds. I would think the antifreeze would disrupt the balance of highway tires.

Or is the green stuff kinda goopy. There is a green "anti-leak" stuff they sell to put into tires. If the tire starts to leak, the green goop fills the hole and stops the leak...supposedly!. It's a hassle if you ever get that green goop in the tire valve!

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

There are several tire sealant products that are greeen, Green slime is one name brand.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

The green goop is only for off road low speed vehicles. Like bicycles and lawn mowers and wheelbarrows. Supposed to be dangerous in high speed situations. Lot of farmers around here put it in their tractor tires because there is so much mesquite and it punctures tires pretty badly.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You can buy tubes that already have the green goo in them. I saw that at Tractor Supply just this week.

6. HermitJohn

New one on me. Stuff looked liquid like antifreeze though there was some sticky like it had congealed/evaporated. Suppose its this slime stuff you speak of though it apparently doesnt work very well, at least for bead leaks. I've used the fixaflat in aerosol can back before it was made environmentally kinder. Worked pretty good for bead leaks if in hurry. Once formula changed it didnt seem to work at all and price zoomed to $2. Though I recently got some special $5 a can new era fixaflat type stuff for tire which I just couldnt find very slow leak even when dipping tire in tub of water. It worked fine and enough for two tires so price isnt just absolutely horrible.

By way priced new brake drums out of curiosity. New drum (probably from China) doesnt cost much more than having an old drum turned. I was surprised. Shouldnt be as nothing is intended to be repaired anymore. I was talking to local salvage yard guy couple years ago and he said his toughest competition was AutoZone and other cheapo auto parts stores. Said for example they could sell a rebuilt cv driveshaft cheaper than he could really afford to sell a good used one. Some upscale salvage yards dealing in newer model cars wont even sell alternators and such. They sell entire engine "assemblies", wiring harness, computer, and all. And these assemblies usually arent that bad of a deal. Though working on newer cars can be royal pain in the rear.

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

A guy I know had his 350 give out in his full sized Blazer a couple of months ago and ran into this phenomenon.

He checked how much it would be for the local machine shop to rebuild his 350 and was really surprised by their rates so checked with a few more and found they were all within a few bucks of each other. Even the cost of just having the machining done was still extremely steep. He then went to some salvage yards and checked on motors and wasn't too impressed with their prices either. Finally he checked with GM and found he could order a brand new replacement crate engine for less than the cost of a complete rebuild and for just a little more than what they wanted for junkyard mystery motors. Plus the GM engine had something like a 20 or 30k warranty. Given that the stocker had ran for 230k miles he figured he was getting quality. Having his engine rebuilt or spending money on a mystery motor wouldn't have made much sense.

One of the problems I've ran into with salvage yards lately is that they want new or nearly new prices for mystery parts. We replaced a rack and pinion on a buick a while back and the junkyards wanted 30-50 bucks less than a newly remanufactured part. When informed of the fact and asked to come down on their price a bit they get all pi**y and indignant like you're trying to steal food out of their mouths. Sheesh guy you're selling junk parts from wrecked cars with no warranty and you're trying to sell them for the price of remanufactured parts don't blame me for it. 100 bucks for a used alternator with no warranty when I can buy a new one with a warranty for 125? Sorry no sale. Cut that price down to 20 or 30 and I may roll the dice on it.

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i was thinking some more about salvage yards these days. i was talking with a used car salesman who junks alot of cars as well. he says the new focus is to recycle "components" of the car. there is a big market for things like batteries, catalytic converters etc. lots of precious metal to recycle there i guess.

also, if you want a new switch you may be buying the whole steering column as they claim it is worthless without the switch. i think these people have changed their thinking to sell "units" and "components" of cars. i guess they have better price control. half of the car is probably already sold when they get the junker. in the old days it would sit indefinately until some unfortunate fellow with a bee allergy or fear of snakes would have to defoliate a forest to remove auto parts. now half of the parts are numbered and on a shelf waiting for the customer.

i guess everyone sells for the maximun price these days. it seems everyone know their business. they know some people cannot afford an extra $20 for "new". it is like everything else we buy. it is not priced for what it is worth, it is priced for what you are willing to pay. if i could negotiate the value of my labor, i would not feel so bad about paying top dollar for everything i buy. but i work, when i work, for a set wage that seems to be non-negotiable. i get what i get for my labor not what i want. personally i feel i am worth more than two or three hamburgers an hour...but i digress...

9. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if that cheaper from China is always the best idea though. I replaced the original rear brake calipers at 90,000 miles on an old Ford Taurus I had. Used cheapos and replaced them twice more within the next 9,000 miles before I smartened up and bought OEM's. Never had another problem with it right up until I sold the car to my brother at 135,000 miles.

10. HermitJohn

Just comment on junkyard prices. In my opinion they are might on salty side in my local area. However not all are headed into stratosphere around the country. Also up and coming strategy of "pick-a-part" junkyards, unfortunately mostly on west coast from what I can discern. Anyway cheap prices, but you do the labor. They will help if you say want an entire engine, you disconnect it and they will come and pluck it out and load it on your truck.

Also take a gander at www.car-parts.com Pick a particular part. They then give pages of junkyards with that part and for many the price. Price can vary from higher than new to pretty cheap price like you would expect back in the 70s. Unless you live locally to the junkyard with cheap price, you have to add shipping. And you deal directly with the particular junkyard for shipping, etc. Its especially nice if you are looking for something small or a might rare or your local junkyards have went upscale in their pricing.

One thing about price gouging at local junkyards makes me wonder if anybody cares about loyal customer and repeat buisiness. My experiences with wide variety of buisinesses says these are concepts from past and not a concern in modern world. Shame. I would frequent a particular buisiness if they treated me decent. Dont have to be absolute lowest price on every last nut and bolt. But when I feel like I'm being treated like a rube then I am going to be hardnosed and shop for absolute lowest price on every nut and bolt.

11. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I can vouch for carparts.com. After the Cherokee was stolen last June, I found a replacement steering shaft with wheel AND airbag for $195 shipped. The insurance company had totalled the Jeep because they had price quotes like $300 for just the shaft.

But around here, some of the junkyards can be a little too high-and-mighty. Went to one that was closing out (EPA violations), and found a hubcap we could use. Asked the guy how much he wanted, and he quoted a crazy price. Our friend thought he was kidding, and made him a reasonable offer. The junk yard guy got really huffy, and said, "You wouldn't go to the grocery store and try to talk them down on a steak, would you?"

I replied that I don't do that, but the steak at the grocery store doesn't have someone else's tooth marks and saliva on it!

Pony!

12. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

sealant cant work in an innertube. Its like painting a ballon then inflating it

13. michiganfarmer

the salvage yards around here are pretty high priced too

14. michiganfarmer

when I was a teenager in the mid 80's junk yard parts were priced at 50% of the cost of new

15. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Probably mean't that the store sold the goo in a tube. We sell both Slime (which is green) , PCC (which is purple) and Bombardier sealant (which is yellow). These all come in a variety of packages from pint size up to 5 gallons.

16. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I have an auto-mechanic cousin who used to own a wrecking business. He wouldn't buy a junker unless he could get the money back on one part. Good cash business too. He had motors sitting around the shop, and one of those was an "owner's special - do not sell" that he kept off his office - accessible only from his office. The head on that was loose, and the cylinders were chock-a-block with cash. He used to pay low prices for everything he bought, and if there was some unreported cash component as well then he never got caught at it. He fed his money through a farm in a yuppie area to launder it from a tax point-of-view, then sold that and is retired on a twenty-five acre mountain block at the back of a tourist area that you couldn't buy for $5,000,000. Not saying it was right - just what he got away with. I understand that old engine block held up to $2,000,000 at times.

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

That 350 crate engine is a super deal.Also shop around,price can vary up to 400 dollars per dealer.BIL just put one in his Suburban.

BooBoo

18. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

meh China brake parts are poo.

we got a slave cylinder for a car of ours, it had so much FLASH on the casting, it wouldn't fit! We had to grind off the flash, almost didn't work! :stars:

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Not just the flash from a lack of finish work but the actual casting itself! We were helping a guy put in a gearbox unit on a piece of machinery is his small custom manufacturing business. The gearbox was made in China and the actual box housing, the castings, were pathetic. You could have made a better casting in your backyard with sand, oil and homemade furnace. Horrible. We decided to open the thing up to inspect it before we mounted it and we had to have his machinists re-cut splines, machine clearance for gears from excess casting material that wasn't suppose to be there, machine new bearing surfaces and even build a new shaft. If we would have put power through that box it would have self-destructed. The chinese machining was somewhat serviceable but the actual metal had flaws and a bearing surface on the box housing was a total mess and should never have made it past inspection at the foundry that cast it. Anything connected to that housing better not put too much stress on it or the whole dang thing is going to fly apart.

Why use such a substandard part? This cost the owner 3500 bucks and one from a domestic manufacturer would have cost over 25000 dollars.

20. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My word! That's the part that gets to me! Not even that they ask a ridiculous price, but that they get huffy when you ask nicely if they can do better for you! It's USED, for goodness sake!