Green houses for barns

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have a line on 4 -24x72 greenhouses and I would like to use them for the sheep. I know it's been done, I know people using them for sheep and I will talk to them too, but I'll throw it out here as well. What problems would they create and if you use them what's been your experience?

2. eb

eb Well-Known Member

I can't offer much help, except to say when I went to pick up my small flock recently (first time sheep owner), the guy I bouight them from had a similar setup and I was very impressed.

I am kind of old-fashioned in that I prefer to see (and someday have) 200 year old New England barn-type buildings for my animals, but the benefits of the greenhouse structure were obvious from the minute I saw it.

For this particular setup that I saw, the owner had used/built a 4 foot knee wall all around, on which the greenhouse sat, giving extra height to the structure.

My own "barn" is a 30 year old steel "Butler" building, which is adequate at best, but dark and has low clearance(i.e. my trctor won't fit in)...as opposed to this bright well ventilated structure.

He was in Southern Maine and said the wind/snow were no problems at all...when you factor in the fact that a greenhouse type structure will probably cost 10-20% of a stick-built wood building, the pros becomes compelling.

In the summer, I guess you would need to make sure it doesn't get too hot, but seems like a great solution to me.

3. Ross

I have one of those old barns and while I wouldn't tear it down I wouldn't build one the same! We also have a 40x60 cover-all which is a terrific barn except it isn't big enough to do everything we need. Ventilation is a worry they have good sized fans in them and I wouldn't use the clear plastic without shade cloth, (I was thinking of using the white stuff if it's not priced more than the shade cloth) the fellow I know with them uses the shade cloth on the ends and partly on the sides to let air in slowly. The Cover-all can get pretty hot too! I was thinking of adding rood top ventilators to that and maybe the greenhouses could get a similar system.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Ross, that is one of the problems a friend had. She tried the green houses, and no matter what she did, it got too hot for the sheep, fall, summer and spring.
    But you might be far enough north, you do not get the really hot weather... so it would be worth a try for you.

I have seen and liked those hoop Barns.. Some are made with metal roofing,, but the ones made with that waterproof fabric let alot of light in and were quite nice.

Would love to see pictures, and know how things work out for you in what ever you decide to do. ;)

5. Ross

Umm actually SEOntario gets its share of 90-100f days/weeks. Horrible hot and humid. The only effect we get from those wretched great lakes is added humidity. :evil: We'll do the picture thing if I get them. Currently the exowners daughter would like 500 per more per, than I can get them new for. Her Uncle will have a word with her. I'm thinking 500 each and leave a clean site. Step one: mow half acre of 6 foot weeds! Step 2: the same job by hand inside the greenhouses!!!