Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what the heck is this? I have a bunch growing on vines all over...almost looks like a green pomegranate...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that's it. Maypops (passionfruit) awesome...I see maypop jelly in my future.
So, do these stay green, or will they turn color when they are ripe?
Thank you both!

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
They'll turn brownish/yellowish and get soft. Good eating. :) my favorite flavor next to persimmons.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I had never seen them before until a couple of months ago. It came up as a volunteer in my orchard. I did not realize they were edible.

Do wildlife enjoy them?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I believe that hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies love the flowers, but I'm not sure if animals eat the fruits or not.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep-maypop fruit of Passion flower. As kids we used to throw them against hard surfaces and they 'pop' like a little grenade. Evidently they have some elevated pressure inside. The pulp around the seed has a citrus like taste-good.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had never seen them before until a couple of months ago. It came up as a volunteer in my orchard. I did not realize they were edible.
Maypop Drink

4 cups maypops, halved
3/4 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick, halved
1 whole clove
2-1/2 cups water
1/4 cup lemon juice

Combine the maypops, sugar, cinnamon stick, clove, and water and bring to a boil. simmer gently for 5 minutes. Put through a strainer, pressing fruit to extract all the juice. Add the lemon juice, and chill well before serving. Makes 4 servings.

Maypop jelly

2 cups ripe maypops, sliced
1 cup water
2-1/2 cups sugar
1-3/4 ounces pectin

Combine the Maypops and water, and boil gently for 5 minutes. Then strain, discarding the pulp. Combine the liquid and sugar and bring to full rolling boil. Add pectin, and again bring to rolling boil. Remove from heat, pour into hot, sterilized jars, and seal. Makes 2-1/2 pints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts