Green Chili

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Yldrosie, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

Last year, we ordered a bunch of fresh chili from Hatch, NM. I saved some of the seeds back and planted them this Feb. in pots in the house. They went out into the garden in late April, with little greenhouses.

Yesterday, we had our first batch for breakfast. And they are wonderful! Nice and flavorful, and a really good bite.

Any more chili lovers out there?

2. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

Are you talking Pablano? I love them, Chile Relino style. The only thing I grow here, that would be close, is Anahiem (sp).

3. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Every year I hopefully plant 6-10 plants of Long Super Hot chilis. So far this year I have gotten 1 little green chili. I think the weather has been to mild for them. But I will try again next year.

4. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

The ones I raise are Anaheims, but there are different kinds of Anaheims. The one's I have are Big Jim'S and Sandias. The Big JIms have more size, anywhere from 6 to 8 inches or more, the Sandias are from 4 to 6 or so inches, but much hotter. Hatch, NM, is famous for their chili.

I tried them a few years ago, but didn't really know how to get them going. This year is going to be a bumper crop. I have around 60 plants and they are all covered with young fruit and flowers. These are somewhat early, as they don't really get going good for harvest until Sept. I started them in small pots with a heating pad under them. Soil has to be about 70 degrees before they will germinate.