Green Beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LaDonna, Mar 4, 2005.

1. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

Last year the rabbits ate my green bean plants before they got 4 inches high.
    This year I am going to plant my beans in buckets hanging from the fence post
    and let them run along the top of the fence.
    Last year we had a few upside down tomatoes like this, but I don't antiscipate the same problems with my greenbeans. The tomato plant became heavy and snaped in the wind and the dried out so quickly in the heat.
    Appreciate any hints or ideas. :eek:

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

What's your question?

3. SherrieT

SherrieT State of Confusion

She asked if we had any advice or suggestions on her growing the beans upside down like the tomatoes.

Sorry..I don't have any experience with this but thanks for the great idea. I have a spot that will be perfect for a bean hanger. This will make a fun experiment this year
    :D :D :D :D

Sherrie

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

What a cool idea!!! How about putting water crystals in the bottom of your potting bucket? I use them in my flower pots and cherry tomato pots(the only things I grow in pots) and they hold water well. If you have kids, it'll be a fun project for them to play with (you have to presoak the crystals, which then resemble clear slime :) )
    Think I'll try a bucket or two! Sounds neat!!

Edited to add: I bought them real cheap on ebay last year

5. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

I'll have to look for some of those water crystals. I wonder how large my pots should be? I think Ky wonder might be the best variety. Any suggestions.
    There's a question for ya Bruce.

6. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

Rabbits are total vegetarians....they are offended and put off my certain animal smells.. particularly blood....I always try to buy a bunch of chicken livers or such...that has a lot of blood in it....dump it in a big garbage can with water, let it soak up the smell...and keep watering the rabbit infested plants all summer....they won't touch anything with the smell of blood....but when it rains hard, it washes the smell away, and you have to reaaply. Kathrynlmv

7. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Good fence and some snares have helped to cut down on the rabbit damage in our garden. If only it would work for moose.

Eric

8. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

A 30-06 works for moose.

9. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I've never shot at a living animal in my life. (we eat it all, but I don't hunt)

However, this year, I will shot every rabbit or woodchuck I see within 200 yards of my garden. :yeeha:

I'm just wondering how the neighbors will react to me walking around with a 22 pistol in a holster! :haha:

It's just too much work to spend it all feeding gourmet meals to rabbits!

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL!! My FIL walks around with his pistol in a holster nearly all the time at the farm! And man! I am impressed by the size of the woodchucks he's shot!

Not that I'm at all bloodthirsty, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and when it comes to garden-eatin' varmints, hangin's too good fer 'em!

Pony!

11. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Sure, Im being slightly pedantic but... :p

If you shoot a rabbit at 200 yards with a 22 Pistol,......well, 'dang :eek: the Olympics are only 3 years away, gold for sure.

Anyway, back to being pleasant again, you should try rabbit and bean curry when the season is over. Would be a nice combination I reckon.

Hmmm might head over to the cooking forum for a recipe........ ;)

12. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well, we'd keep the rifle handy too...

My husband rolllled his eyes - "two hundred yards is a lonnnng way"
    :eek:

13. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

We put up posts around the garden and added one inch poultry wire to that. We only bought wire 2 feet wide, so my fence is 2 feet high. It is installed with the bottom of the wire right on the ground and as tight as we could. I had the same problem with rabbits. We planted tons of beans and never got any to eat. Believe it or not, this little fence kept the rabbits out. I canned enough beans last summer that I still have a few quarts.

14. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

'Tis said that scattering human hair around a garden perimeter will help keep rabbits at bay. I expect they would just build a nest of it, but am told that it really does work. Time for a trip to salon?

I plan to start another thread on what you call water crystals so as not to hijack this one.

15. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I'd head for the pet salon. Dog and cat hair works better