Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to let them stick around? The plants are in good shape and have some new blooms, but production is way down. I wondered about pulling them up and going with another round of beans.......but wasn't sure if the plants might come on stronger if I fertilized them some? Anyone have any thoughts or routines that you use?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i think you will have better production with a fresh planting of beans. i just pulled the first of two harvests off of my plants (actually only one row of two) and i plan to yank the plants and replant august 1st. my second planting should be ready well before the end of september. if you leave the plants, you will get a few beans here and there, but not a sufficient volume to work with. i like picking a grocery bag at a time and canning them, but i guess you could fill up freezer bags one at a time if you want to leave the current plants alone.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I plan to do....in fact, just had the two boys go pull them up now and I will plan to plant in a day or two. I was getting tired of sifting through the leaves and finding a few beans here and there!

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Stephen in SOKY said:
I let mine set 1 last crop, then pull them up & head for a shade tree to pick the beans. Second planting goes in immediately.
Yep,thats what I do to, except right before last picking, I whackum off at ground level to leave that nitrogen and bacteria in the soil, head to the shade and pick beans off and put the vines in the compost pile.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have never planted a second batch of beans. We get enough in this area from one planting. I just picked two five gallon buckets yesterday. Is there a difference in production, flavor, and insects when you harvest them in the fall? It sure would be a lot nicer to pick in Sept. than July.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
You don't mention if you're growing pole beans or bush beans. Pole beans will continue producing throughout the season, frequently giving a big "last hurrah" when the very hot temps relent a bit. Bush beans generally tend to mature pretty much all at once.

I'd rip out bush beans but leave pole beans intact.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
So what is the planting date in relation to the first frost for fall green bean planting? I have had two really nice pickings from our plants, then one that was smaller and this one today will probably be pretty small too. I have no problems with pulling the plants and re-planting, but it is still pretty hot here. Our first frost date is said to be Oct. 4, but I cannot remember having a frost here that early. Usually mid to late Oct. Thanks for your help.
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
My gardening book says to pick the beans clean or they will stop producing, so not picking the few that are there is why your beans quit producing. My beans produce until the frost gets them in late October or November.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked and pulled my first planting, 51 quarts canned. Made second planting in same rows the day after. Will probably harvest them mid-September. Each time a row of another type of vegetable dies I till it and plant with beans. Last year I made my last pull the 4th week of October....makes for cold hands.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
I'm with Turtlehead. Pull the bush beans, but keep watering and picking the pole beans and you'll be rewarded with lots more beans.

Reeldoc, were those bush or pole beans? Wow! 51 quarts! Salud!!

Pony!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.