Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember praying that my green beans would do well this year because we have used up all our jars canned from previous years. WELL..... I have picked 2 WHEELBARROW loads this week and could pick more later this week if I can get these canned! I have no idea how many quarts this will make but I think its safe to say we wil have enough! :) I'm leaving half a row for seed because they are an heirloom and you can't buy them anywhere. The only problem is this infernal heat and dry weather. The vines are going to dry up way early because I can't keep running the well to water them. But still, I got beans and I am so HAPPY! :) Potatoes were not good at all this yr but got enough to have some with the beans every so often. Cukes are drying up too and tomatoes are ok. All in all its GOOD! Blessings to all of you, Kathy

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm... I don't know what they would be like dried, never thought about it. I've been shelling out the ones that look too dry and adding them into the jars of whole beans. My Grandma called those "Shellie" beans. These are Fat Horse pole beans and they get really big and fat with large white beans in the pods. Makes the work of stringing go pretty easy! I will have to try drying enough to try that way. After we ate these we never wanted to plant any other kind, they are so good! We planted 3 50 ft rows this yr. These get so big you hubby would probably like picking them because your bucket fills up so fast! Kat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.