Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you drain the yogurt BEFORE, or AFTER chilling it? Also, I was trying to find the answer online, and apparently you're not supposed to make 'gurt in metal vessels? I'm hoping that's only you're not supposed to culture it in metal vessels, because I don't know where I"m supposed to get a non-metal pot that will hold a two gallon batch. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just regular yogurt that has been strained - I finally found this recipe, which says to chill the yogurt before you strain it. I may try that first - I've been told in the past that if you disturb the yogurt before it is chilled, it will not be as thick. But maybe it's different if you're going to be straining it anyway? I have no idea what I'm doing. :) I will have some yogurt in the morning though that I can experiment on. Getting tired of runny yogurt, we are.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chilled then strained, and it turned out great! A little lumpy, but that just means it needs more stirring. Yay!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I pour it straight into a colander lined with a paper towel and put the whole thing in the fridge. It chills and strains at the same time. I just make a quart at a time though. It's good and thick! I have never chilled first. Might have to try it.

·
Transplanted Tarheel
677 Posts
I pour it straight into a colander lined with a paper towel and put the whole thing in the fridge. It chills and strains at the same time. I just make a quart at a time though. It's good and thick! I have never chilled first. Might have to try it.
I do mine this way also!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is also how I make my Greek yogurt. The longer you strain it the thicker it becomes (like yogurt cheese).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts