Great way I reduced feed costs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by natybear, Jun 30, 2005.

1. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I just wanted to share this with all of you because of all the helpful tips and advice I get from this site.

Last week I went to the feed store and the workers were all yelling at eachother about the feed they were unloading. Well I ask one of them what was going on. He said that a whole bunch of the feed bags were ripped or torn and couldn't be sold. I asked if they were still any good and he said yes because they had been damaged by the equiptment at the feed store. Short story long... He said he'd sell it cheap if anyone wanted it, I told him that he could load me up with goat, rabbit, and any poultry feeds he had there. I ended up with 250 lbs of feed (5 bags with very minor holes in them) for $10.00!

So my idea is to ask your local feed store if they have any damaged bags of feed that they can't sell and if they'd sell them at a reduced rate to you. Anything only a day or two old or already repaired with tape should be bug and vermon free.

Just an idea, hope you can save a buck or two like I have.

God Bless!

They now have a pallet in the feed storage with "my feed bags" that I can pick out the bags and feed the feed I use for a much cheaper price.

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

How cool is that! I will definitely ask at my feed store - what a great deal you've got going there!

3. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I will certainly do the same. I can always use goat, poutry, cat and especially dog food at a reduced price. I will certainly ask next time I am in. Thanks for the tip!

4. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

We've come up with a way to reduce ours that's kind of unique to our situation but might work for others. We buy soy hull/corn based feed in bulk, about 1,000 pounds at a time and feed it to both the goats and the pigs. The goats, of course, waste any fines that are in it so dh built a sifter our of small mesh hail screen. We sift the fines out and feed that to the pigs soaked in extra milk or water and give the sifted feed to the goats. We seem to have cut useage of that particular feed by about 30%.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Here they just tape the bags up, and since they load it for you, usually it isn't noticed until you get home with it. :rolleyes: If I see tape on a bag, I ask for a different one, because they are charging me regular price and I figure it's had vermin in it.

6. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Same here. Besides, there are only 2 sellers of feed here. One is closed ont he weekends, because he does car shows, the other is so cheap, he'd sell a half-full bag of feed for full price because he spent time and effort to tape it.

7. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this doesn't worked for everyone, I guess ours has to sell "perfect" looking bags because we are right in the city and surrounded mainly by horse people. If a bag gets a little hole from transport they can't sell it full price. We were there yesterday and watched them move a pallet and slit three bags of wet cob! I got them all for 6.00.

I hope that others will continue to share their money saving tips though.

8. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the tip. I tried that at my coop, but they said they use the damaged sacks to mix up their own rations.