Great Pyrenese/Collie cross mix

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vanrandwyk, Mar 8, 2005.

1. vanrandwyk

vanrandwyk New Member

We just adopted/rescued a 3 yr old spayed GP/Collie mix. Both mom & pop were purebreds. Sadie knows nothing. She has not been trained in ANY way, shape or form. She stays outside during the daytime and comes inside at night. The previous owner of the house (which is how we got the dog), never taught her anything. She has no concept of what "No, down, stay, come, etc... mean. How can we train her? She has already tried to nip the feet & faces of my 8 & 11 year old niece & nephew. SHe also tries to play with our cat by pushing the poor thing around with her nose. Sometimes she gets a little carried away and tries to nip the cat on her back. Last night at 3:30am, the cats & the dog got into a fight...complete with snarling, growling and snapping....on my bed. I don't know WHAT happened or who started it, but the cats were traumatized and one of them still will not come out of hiding. Saide, meahwhile, just seemed clueless about why I was yelling at her and seemed her normal sweet self. I don't think she is "mean" but rather completely clueless about her strength and her instincts. Can anyone help us? We don't want to have to take her to the shelter. We feel that she deserves a chance.

Thanks!

Suzanne & Michael VanRandwyk

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Do you have anyone nearby who gives obedience lessons? Either in-home or classes would be great. In a basic class you would learn how to teach her to sit, down, stay, come, etc. If you don't have any instructors nearby I'd recommend going to the library or bookstore and getting a few books on dog training. Make sure you look through several to determine what training style you feel comfortable with. You can do LOTS of training at home. I would have the dog pull a leash or long line around so that #1 she gets used to a leash and #2 that you can step on or grab the leash if she is acting up. I also use lots of treats in the beginning and phase them out as she catches on. If you have any specific questions, please ask. There are lots of folks on this board who have trained dogs!

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

She wasn't sleeping on your bed was she? Keep her off the people furniture.

If she's housebroken, then she is trained for that. There are some real easy ways to train some very basic things. If you have food in your hand, or the dinner dish, and you pass it over her head, she will sit down as she tries to follow it with her nose. "Good Sadie", and give it to her. This also teaches her the hand signal for sit. Later, you can add the cue. Have her sit before opening the door, sit before feeding, sit if she is a jumper. I think it is wonderful that you are giving this dog a second chance. you'll also want to invest in a couple of good brushes :)

4. vanrandwyk

vanrandwyk New Member

Thanks Sarah & Maura,

I will definately stop at the library on the way home tonight to look over the books. I tried the "move the dish over her head" and praised when she sat. After her dinner, I took a few Scoobie Snacks and repeated. She sits on command now...after only a few minutes. She seems so eager to please. I've done some research online and have learned, myself, how important it is for these two breeds (Pyr & Collie) to have "jobs". So we're going to talk with the vet tomorrow about what we can do to help Sadie become more understanding of her instincts and how to handle them. For example, Collies have been known to try and herd the members of the owners families, and Pyrs can be a tad stubborn if they don't want to do something. It's going to be a challange but it's one I am definately up for. I just don't want her to be abandoned again (we're her 3 or 4th owner in 3 yrs). Thanks again.

5. vanrandwyk

vanrandwyk New Member

Sarah & Maura,

One more thing, she was not sleeping on the bed but she does try to sneak up onto the sofa at night when we're asleep (she's been busted). She IS housebroken and can actually go 12 hrs without asking to go out. Cast iron bladder. Should we get some sort of "bed" for her that she knows is "hers"? Will that help to reduce her need to get onto the people furniture?

6. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

As much as my parents laugh at me I know all dogs can learn at least basic manners. Sounds like she will train easy if she picked up sit. She will want to please, those breeds are working dogs so you need to work with them and give them structured schedule. Nipping is not tolerable, figure out how you want to correct the dog and make sure you use it with enthusiasm if she continues that behavior. As for the bed thing, decide now. I am one of those lucky dog owners who doesn't own any furniture (small trailer/sofa bed) so if my Docia wants to sleep with she can. But if you need some specifics start with the book and then ask as things come up. Good luck you will have a loyal and loving dog with some work I hope.
    Take care - thea

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

A bed won't hurt. Nice thing about a bed is it's portability. When you take her with you someplace, you just toss the bed into the corner you want her to lie in. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. If you sew, you can make a real fat comforter for her using denim and just tie it. Foam or polyester is fine for the batting, but when she gets older, wool will be more comfortable. I've made mine with an additional denim case so it can be easily washed. A heavy plush rug works as well.

My favorite books include: Please Don't Shoot the Dog, The Other End of the Leash, and The Culture Clash

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Depends on the dog. My older dog looks at "dog beds" with distain! He much prefers to sleep on the couch. I've even considered bringing our unused loveseat upstairs for him, but that is just too much work :) . The only "dog bed" he will sleep on is a Canine Cooler and that's just in the summer when it's hot. My pup on the other hand, loves to sleep on things (unless it's in her crate :confused: ). She'll even pull the pillows of the couch to lay on if a bed is not available. At this point both of my dogs are sleeping in crates at night. The pup because she's a pup and the older dog because he had an incident about a month ago with not waking us up to say he needed to go out. I hate waking up to the sound of a BIG dog peeing on the carpet! :eek: If it wasn't for this latest incident I usually just let the dog decide where to sleep, but at my house furniture is fair game. If it's not okay at your house I'd confine the dog where you want it-baby gates work well for my dogs. She sounds like a smart girl-I'm glad she's finally found a good home!

9. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Where in Texas are you? There are some awesome obedience groups- ABOTC in Dallas, in particular- is excellent and offers free training to rescue dogs.

"Don't Shoot the Dog," "So Your Dog's Not Lassie" and "The Culture Clash" are the books I find the most useful to recommend for new owners of adult untrained dogs. (puppies are, in many ways, easier- not least becasue they are smaller and easier to manhandle.) "The Other End of the Leash" is pretty good but I haven't read the whole thing, so can't recommend it.