Great Pyreneese barking

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Aug 12, 2004.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Has anyone ever successfully "trained" a Great Pyr to not bark? I find this very funny. Maybe it's just me. Who knows?

We've had Sam for almost 3 years. Our first Pyr. He's wonderful. The best dog we've ever had. He barks. He barks at neighbors. He barks at leaves. He BARKS at coyotes. We love him. We love it when he barks. We bought him because he barks. That's not causing us any problems. I just find humor in the fact that someone on another thread thinks that Sam could be "trained" not to bark.

What are your thoughts?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They have those collars that shoot citronella in their face when they bark. I hear they work well. I think alot of dogs that bark too much (like all night, when nothing is happening) are being neglected and are bored (not talking about your dog, he is barking at things, which is normal).

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thank God for my petstore discount. We did try the regular bark control collar by PetSafe. It was no good. We try the Deluxe Bark control collar by PetSafe. It didn't work. We shaved his neck thinking that the "mane" was insulating the shock. We then tried the citronella collar. We had to refill it every day. The only good it did was to repel mosquitos, which it did wonderfully.

Pyrs were bred to bark. It's like telling someone to "not be stupid." It's in their nature. We love Sam.

ps. the cars and radios aren't always making noise to scare the coyotes away but Sam is always on guard and the neighbors appreciate him for that.

4. kidsnchix

kidsnchix Well-Known Member

We had a Great Pyr, and she barked and chased everything out that came close to the goats. She wouldn't even let a bird land on a fence post. She was a good dog, and took her job seriously.

RoseKYTN

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

Your Sam sounds like a great dog. I wouldn't want a dog that didn't bark.
    The best dog we ever had was a Sheltie who barked at every thing. You could tell the difference between something serious and a bark at some nonsense thing.
    Lacy started barking one morning about 5:30. DH told her to go back to bed but she persisted.
    When she started pulling the blankets off the bed we knew we better pay attention.
    The automatic coffe pot was on fire and about to engulf the cabinets above. Lacy saved us and the house. Give me a barker any day.

Yvonne

6. RAC

RAC Guest

I didn't know they had citronella collars now.

I have always wondered though if people weren't better off actually going out with the rolled up newspaper, or the coins in the can trick, along with the personal, "no, be quiet", rather than the collars. I don't know if professional dog trainers have access to stronger collars than the general public, either. And I didn't say it would be easy to train him. But I doubt that it is impossible, given time and attention.

But even if a dog is bred to do something like bark (or go after critters in holes, like Jack Russell terriers), it may be in his best interest to train him not to do it all the time, before he becomes a nuisance to someone else. Look at what has happened to Rottweilers (sp?) for instance. Many people will now never believe that there is a safe dog of that breed, because of how they have been bred, trained and owned by people who just don't care.

As long as your neighbors truly don't care, you're fine although that situation could change just as soon as the neighbors sell their places or you do and move elsewhere, but you don't ever want to be in the situation of having a dog that isn't trained, and then are forced to get rid of him, or keep him indoors all the time.

I do understand what you're saying about having a good watchdog.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

If the 'someone" was me??????? (Could have been.. I've slept since then! LOL!)

But yeah.. my suggestion could work..(although.. I WAS speaking of other breeds, that I had used my 'method' with! BUT I DID HAVE A GP.. and it worked if he got out of hand w/barking!_

but WHY would you WANT to stop a GP.. particularly if THAT"S what you got him for? That's really weird, dear. I'll read your post again. :confused:

8. RAC

RAC Guest

No, it was I DayBird was referring to, in regards to the neighbor with barking dogs next door thread.

LOL, although I guess we should clarify as to how much barking is too much, I'm sure we all have different tolerance levels, and it's not like checking out the place beforehand at different times would do any good--a dog is always going to bark at a stranger, every time they come up. No way to tell if it is going to be barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarketc. (my hands are getting tired :)) for 20-30 minutes at a stretch until you do move in.

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Whew! ;) Okay.. now that I"M out of the woods.. I cut and paste my (now guiltless LOL) post:

(Now, this advice WAS in response to a Q for a neighbor's dog)

The Sure Cure

The sure cure... a nice little bebe gun. Now, before you all go crazy and call PETA on me or something... I have used this on my OWN dogs. Since you can't put a shock collar on a neighbor's dog.. and it's ridiculously expensive anyway..

Usually after one or two hits (in the butt, of course) it is effective enough that MY dogs.. shut up when I only go to the door and pop the igloo dog house or nearest tree. I'm sure with careful aim and a VERY SHORT time.. the little doggie next door will associate the event and GET QUIET real fast!

Don't use a pump rifle!! Too dangerous. Just a little bebe gun that doesn't pump up. They're only good to about 50 ft. If you really HAVE to use a pump.. only one pump.

Okay.. that's my solution.

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

LOL
    :)

Noone was ever in the woods. Sam is wonderfully trained. He's trained not to jump on people. He's trained not to chase the goose even when she's eating his food. He's trained to pull my son's wagon. He's just great. I just think that it's unfair to say that "any" dog that barks nonstop is untrained or to think that you can "train" out a bred-in, ancestral trait or habit.

I tell people every day at the petstore that cats scratch, dogs bark and birds are messy. "Get over it."

It's when Sam stops barking that I'll be worried. It's not that we're ignoring him. We just know that he can take care of the problem. I no longer have to worry about the coyotes or bobcats. I don't have to worry about my mom's new husband coming into the yard. I don't have to worry that the falling leaves will attack me or the blue jays will steal my car.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect homestead dog to me.
    BooBoo

12. C and P

C and P Member

a lot of dogs are bred for certain reasons.
    great pyr's will bark
    greyhounds will run (like mad!)
    papillon's are bred for..... well, i'm not really sure, but they're cute.

if you have a pure breed, or anything close to pure, be ready for some habits that are LOCKED into it's dna.

i work at a nonprofit vet/animal shelter. i love the fact that dogs can have these great quirks bred into them. it makes them humorously predictable.

13. Night Owl

Night Owl Active Member

I have 9 dogs...
    1 Great Dane, 1 Pit Bull, 2 Beagles, 5 Rottweilers and one rotten crabby old bitty for a neighbor.

The Rotts never bark unless it is really something serious. I appreciate their ability to discriminate. It would be beneath them to bark for no reason :)

The Pit Bull barks at all livestock, which means she barks all the time because we have goats and cows. I've let her live with a dog that doesn't bark and in an area where her views are minimal. I don't think she should/could be trained not to bark, so I just adjusted her living circumstances.

The Beagles don't bark...they howl and sing and only in the middle of the night. They know the jackrabbits are roamin' in the fields. So, I bring them inside at night. Again, I don't think you could train the howl out of the Beagle.

My Great Dane is the craziest of the critters. She just climbs on something really high, as if she were a mountain goat. And then she looks off into the distance and barks. Her bark is very, very deep and very, very loud. I don't know what she sees but I believe her. I always trust my dogs. So, she comes in the house.

I'm a good neighbor and I keep my dogs quiet. But, by finding what motivates them and then trying to accomodate their personalities. Now my goats can raise the roof when they get going, but their aren't any ordinances about noisy goats!
    :haha:

I wouldn't trade any of them. They are the homesteader's best friends!

Best wishes to all,
    Tina