Great Pyrenees

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cakrw, May 23, 2005.

1. cakrw

cakrw Guest

Please, please has anyone ever shaved a Great Pyernees?? I took my gir to get clipped; we live in West Texas so I thought if her hair was about an inch long she would be more comfortable. they shaved her and I almost died. I don't know what happens when this happens to this kind of dog. I have looked on the internet for information but I haven't found anyone who has been through this. Any advise would be great!!!!

2. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Relax - it's just hair.

She was probably matted. Once the fur gets that way there is no way to get it off except go UNDER the mats. If the mats are tight to the skin, then there is no way to save any length.
    She may look odd to you but chances are she FEELS great. Mats hurt.
    Don't let your children make her feel bad by laughing at her, and she will never be the wiser.

Make sure you keep her skin protected from the sun and provide some protection from mosquitos until the coat grows in more.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

It may take a couple of shed cycles for her hair to grow back in properly and she may look pretty goofy while it's coming it (it'll probably be a little patchy). Minnikin is right-put sunscreen on her until her hair grows a bit. The younger she is, the quicker her hair should return to normal.

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

We did have 3 but are down to 1 now. They were/are all shaved/clipped short with the sheep shears every year. Yeah, It's kind of a shock when it's first done, but it soon grows back, and they are a lot more comfortable during hot weather.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i shaved mine this year. left the cottony undercoat in place. a pyr needs several things to be comfortable in the summer, as they are animals that come from a much colder climate than here. what mine likes best is a cool mountain creek to lie down in, so good thing we have lots of them here. he needs plenty of shade and lots of fresh water too, to help keep him cool.

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I have my 3 shaved every late spring, infact they are going in next week to have the deed done. Their coat looks the same when fall rolls around, you'd never know
    they'd been shaved. The only problem is that they look pretty goofy. Our property has a lot of woods and they always lie in the shade so we have no problem with sunburn.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I shave my shepard/coyote mix that double coat ppppuuuuu!!!! She loves it if I tried to bathe her she would be wet for days I try to keep her out of the rain as much as possible oh man she is stinky LOL!!!

8. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

Please don't shave your dogs. That hair acts to protect them from the heat as much as it protects them from the cold. They are meant to have all that hair.
    Take care - Thea

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

People love to say this but my dogs are miserable when it hits 100 degrees and haven't been clipped. These are working outside dogs and they get matted and full of burrs over the winter, despite brushing. We checked with our vet and our breeder and both say there is no problem as long as they don't sunburn. They are MEANT to have all that hair in their natural environment, high up in the Pyrenees mountains where perhaps it doesn't get as warm. I am not meant to wear sunscreen, but since I have red hair and fair skin and don't live in my ancestral homeland, Ireland, I do.