great pyrenees eating chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cojax, Oct 31, 2005.

1. cojax

cojax Member

i have a 16 week old pyrenees that is just a great dog :goodjob: but he has killed one of our chickens. got him mainly for our goats which he does very well with. after a few days i introduced him to the chickens everything has been fine until yesterday when i found a dead bird :( I DID NOT SEEM HIM DO THIS JUST FOUND THE BIRD. ANY SUGGESTIONS :shrug:

2. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

At sixteen weeks, you are dealing with an infant, or perhaps toddler. That means they are untrained, inexperienced, don't know right from wrong, and shouldn't be left unsupervised with livestock. I would suggest kenneling the dog and supervising him whenever he is outside the kennel. That gives you a chance to extinguish inappropriate behavior and reward appropriate behavior.

Big puppies sometimes kill smaller animals during play, inadvertantly. He may not be a bad dog at all.

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

They are playing with a big fealthery sqeeze toy. They need to be told NO quickly. You need to step up as the alpha male and control the animal. Its to big to try to control later.

4. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Our Pyr is a little over a year old and we still have to correct her behavior. Occasionaly she forgets herself and chases a chicken or tries to help herd the milk cow. We immediately correct her. She is somewhat stubborn, so I have purchased a shock collar to help nip some of this behavior in the bud. Even though she is over a year old, she sometimes still acts like a big puppy; but I think it is time she learned some lessons the hard way before things gets out of hand.

5. cojax

cojax Member

Thanks For The Advice I Think Its More Of A Play Thing Now For Him The Chicken Was Decapitated And The Feathers Were Missing. Looked Like He Had Probably Been Mauled More Than Anything.dog Got Hit Several Times With Dead Chicken And Verbaly Scolded And He Knew Something Was Wrong Tried To Make Up All Afternoon With Me

6. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. But when I first scanned the topic of your post it sounded like a chicken was eating the great pyr! :D

7. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, our Pyr knows when she's in trouble. She sometimes gets out of her area. She knows that she's not supposed to be out and doesn't respond when we call her. I have to change my tone of voice before she will come to me. She hasn't been beaten or brutalized, but she's like a naughty child when they know they are in trouble.

8. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

Our great pyrenees did this for a short time while he was a puppy. He never ate them; he would just play with them until they died. It reminded me of how dogs like to chew on shoes. And I don't know if all Pyrs are like ours, but ours used to love to chew on stuff...more than your average pup. He'd chew wood if we didn't give him something to chew.

I've wondered if the Great Pyrenees aren't in it for the hunt, and that's partly why they are good stock dogs? However, our Pyr will attack other dogs....very defensive about his territory.

9. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

Head gone? Sounds like a coon killed it and the pyr came along later.

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Thats what I was hoping for, too!!! :rolleyes:

11. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a chicken-killing dog and was told that he'd always be just that, but I spent a lot of time in training classes with him, spent time taking him around the small animals, worked with him. Now he is quite trust-worthy. I always recommend basic training for all dogs, especially larger ones. If you can't find classes in your area, then find some books on it. It really works wonders and far beyond just the sit, stay, come. It has to do with the herding instincts of dogs and this training taps into it, making you the head dog. After basic training, you can easily train your dog to do lots of other things. Even if you don't use the training much later, it is still there. I can't tell you how much you'll be glad you spent the time with him now.

12. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

Whenever we've found dead chickens that are missing their heads there's usually a raccoon behind it somewhere. My pyrs don't harm any of our poultry, but our female will play with one that is already dead. My pyrs won't even eat one that's already dead if we give it to them to eat.

13. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

My pry won't eat a dead chicken either, head gone indicates coon...

head's the last thing most dogs will eat, they usually go for the stomach first..

don't leave a pup alone with any livestock until it knows the rules..pyrs like to play and can hurt a young goat or lamb if the mamma is not around, they don't really even mean to, it's just that they are SO big...

now if my terrier was around, I might be suspicious, nothing she'd like better than to get her little mouth on a real live squeek toy duck!!!

Of course, she is never allowed in the pen with them, but "MOM, they walk, they quack...they're toys...." and she'd kill one in a minute just trying to play with it. Never pays a bit of attention to the chickens, but those ducks just fascinate her (we have never had quackers like that before, just huge old geese).

Sidepasser

14. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

Great advice as I have seen this work well regarding chickens. However, I have friends with a great pyrenees and the dog is very sweet and lovable but shall I say, a bit slow on the uptake. He has for years failed to learn much of anything. Patience will definitely be required if yours is in fact the chicken eating culprit.

Maybe you could take the dog out to KFC once a month.

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Our youngest pyr killed about 7 of our guinea fowl when he was about a year old. We caught him dead to rights with one in his mouth and he was covered in blood and feathers. My husband fired a revolver (well) over his head and scared the bejesus out of him. He never did touch another guinea or bother our free range hens. Although he did turn out ultimately to not be a good LGD. He chases horses AND sheep, although he was raised with both and comes from very strong guarding bloodlines. He just went to a new home this past weekend where he is a much loved pet.

16. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Good news / bad news. Both are that Pyrs don't mature fully until about 2 years old so you've got a long way to go monitoring the puppy behavior and a long way to go to provide training. My Pyr is starting to settle down mostly at 22 mos. and he's pretty well trained now - patrols fence lines and barks at anything that he sees, smells or hears ( or thinks that he sees, hears or smells LOL).

Watch your puppy with goats - some want to play with the goats, which a lot of folks think is cute, but if you want a guardian dog you should sidetrack that play behavior. Also while he's a 30-40 lb puppy there's not much actual danger with him playing with the goats, but in a few months he'll be a 90-120 lb puppy and could seriously harm one - especially small breeds and kids.

Head missing, feathers stripped - sounds like every bird I've seen killed by a raptor - lost one to a Cooper's Hawk a couple of days ago.

And oh, by the way my Pyr did kill a chicken once... he knows better now.

[​IMG]