Great Pyrenees dogs/roaming

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smelt, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Hi,

We are considering adopting a 3 year old adult male Great Pyr. In my reading on these beautiful dogs, I've heard it said that they have a tendency to roam. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with Great Pyrs and can offer any opinions. We have 16 acres which are not fenced except for the chicken coop, but we're planning on fencing some other areas for sheep, pigs, and the like in the spring. I was hoping to keep the Pyr with the family during the day, and then let him out at night to protect the animals -- we lost all of our turkeys to coyotes last winter. Will a Pyr roam if he has a job to do? I'd like him to have the run of our property so he can protect all the animals, rather than being inside the sheep pen and unable to get to the chickens -- does this sound reasonable? I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks in advance,
    Mrs. Smelt

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............I've never owned a GP but i've observed my neighbors dog so I'll offer my thoughts . They NEED to be trained and assigned very Specific "work" assignments that will accrue to their protective nature . "Busy Paws are Happy Paws", is the way I would phrase it . My neighbors dog has NEVER been trained and he is lucky that he hasn't been run over . He tends TOO his business and the neighbors across the road as well . He will stand at the edge of the Road and challenge cars heading home after work which are traveling around 50 mph!! I called my neighbor and asked them....WHY...don't you build a fenced area for Fideo..? They just didn't think it was Necessary, after ALL...this is the Country.....you know . That's just aload of BS in my opinion . I don't have much patience with people who DON"T take care of their responsibilities . So, now we don't have Polite conversation across the Fence, which suits me just fine .
    ............My suggestion would be, to find a PUPPY, that will imprint upon you and Yours and start training him\her from the Getgo . They are truelly man's best friend but can really be a handfull ....IF....You don't take the time to educate yourself about their Genetic Predisposition(s) . Please ignore all my ranting but I just feel strongly about the proper care of animals ....fordy... :eek: :)

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Guaranteed, they will roam. They can, and will, cover MILES in a night.

They really need a fenced area to work in. I know one gal that has hers loose, but she also retrieves her off the highway some 4-5 miles away quite often.

Even the Akbash/Pyrs they take out into the mountains with the sheep roam. We see them come through here on the prairie, and they will often be several miles away from the herd. That's why they take so many of them with each herd, I suppose.....some of them are bound to be around at any given point, lol.

I have had Anatolians for nearly 13 years now, and they are the same way.
    Tracy

Sumatra likes this.
  4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Yep, that's one of their jobs. They were bred to bark, to roam and to kill any predators that might be a danger to their animals. My opinion is that you can't stop them from doing their jobs. Fence them in. We're moving soon and will put up a perimiter fence around the property line and have the goats in their pens and the chickens in their pens and Sam can go where he's needed the most without leaving the property.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Our pyr is two and he roams, but we finally got the eletric fence up and that stopped him cold. He doesn't realize he can jump over it (Yet) so he stays in.

He is bonded with all our animals and is very protective of them but we are set up where he has access to all the animals and we lock them all up at night.

They are beautiful friendly dogs. Good luck if you should decide to take the dog.

A fence is gonna be a necessity.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Get an October copy of Dog Fancy Magazine. Pyres are the featured breed on the cover. Page 49

"They shed, they dig, they slime, they bark, and they roam." (she's met my Sam)

"fences are an absolute must to keep this territorial breed from wandering...Indeed, she says, fanciers have a name for a Great Pyrenees who is let offleash in an unfenced area, a DIS-A-PYR."