Great Pyrenees Basketball Player

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Oct 18, 2004.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

We have lost chickens to opposums, dogs, etc.

That was until we got "Carter", our great Pyrenees. He sleeps with them in the chicken coop. At night when I am putting him to bed he makes a boundary run and barks at things that lurk out there and then goes into the coop and sleeps in his "clean corner" on the opposite side from where they roost.

We occasionally hear him bark, but nothing has gotten in to get a chicken since he moved in.

He does love to play. One morning I saw him outside with a large rooster.
    He would plop down one of his great white paws and the roooster would dash the other way. Plop went the other paw and the rooster reversed his course.
    As the game went back and forth it looked like Carter was using the rooster as a basketball. When the rooster flew up in the air, I started looking for the hoop to see if he scored!

Report Post | IP: Logged

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Aren't Great Pyrenees just the best dogs ever? Our beloved Sam is the absolute best dog either of us have ever known. He does something very similar when the goose is eating his dog food. He can make the peahens fly straight up about 20 feet high if they try to eat his food. Other than that, he mostly ignores them. Them and the cats and the ferrets and all the other birds. Let another dog come near the fence or the Alabama Power man come to the gate and it's as if the gates of hades have broken loose.

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Halfpint, our pyr plays with the chickens and leave the cats alone.

Sad tho last Sat my wife went out and halfpint was laying in a pool of blood(his) and was bleeding out of his middle leg bone, his heart would beat and blood would squirt.
    We rushed him to the vets and emergency operation was in order and preformed. He lost so much blood the vet couldn't believe he was still alive.

It now has been three days and he is home again and is recovering slowly but the vet called today and said it sounds like Halfpint is finally out of the woods and will have a full recovery.
    We searched the barn and his yard where he spends the night and couldn't find what he was stabbed with. We thought a bite at first but the vet said no it was definitely a stab into a vein with something sharp.
    Halfpint is now in what we refer to as our maternity ward in the barn at night and we have him layout outside at the house during they day to get sunshine and my wife can watch him.
    Our neighbor across the road looses animals all the time to predators but we haven't lost many since we have Halfpint.
    Thank God he didn't die.

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We have 3 Great Pyrz. Ours are kindof rough with chickens. They love our goats and sheep though. Sadly, our youngest, Mojo disappeared yesterday. This isn't like him and we are really worried.

5. mysticokra

I am surprised at the silent courage of these dogs. The vet said ours fractured both the bones in his legs about 8 weeks ago.(Before we got him.) He said that they seem to have mended properly, but he was surprised that he could walk at all.

We have been feeding lots of raw goat's milk. Yesterday he galloped across the yard to play with our Scotty male. :)

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Where did you get your pyr? Our beloved Sam came from a breeder in Winfield, Alabama. He shares the same birthday as my wife, April 18. He'll be 3 in the spring.

7. mysticokra

He was abandoned. A friend knew we were considering a Great Pyr as a LGD.
    They ran ads in the paper and when no one claimed him they called us.

My friend said that people know that because he's a "tree hugger" they feel they can drop off their unwanted animals and he will find them a home. Like us, he lives far out in the country.

I can't believe anyone could abandon this dog. He has the best personality of any dog I have ever owned. It also angers me to think that perhaps he was injured and they abandoned him to avoid the vet bills. Since I can't know that for sure, I'll choose not to resent it.

Last night he played tug of war with my male Scotty. 23 pounds verses 90 and yet he kept the game fun. How does he know?

8. Ditzyblond

Ditzyblond Active Member

I have 2 Pyranees pups 10 months old now. These are the best darn puppies I have ever raised. They are so calm for that age. Dogs that age can be difficult, to say the least. Adolescence! I have an Old English Sheepdog who is 2 years old now and I can not believe the difference in temperments. At that age, and even now, the OE has hardly any attention span while the Pyranees are so easy to train.

Those Pyranees have never bothered a hair or feather on any of my animals. I thought I would have to train them not to, but it seems to be an in bred behavior. They are so cool. I love them! They only bark when there is a problem, dont salivate over my poultry, and they dont chase anything around or run off. They just stick around the yard. They do eat my tree bark :rolleyes: but they will outgrow that. They are just pups after all. Hopefully they stay so wonderful as they grow up.