Great Pyr LGD for adoption

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Loda Farm, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I am a foster home for a rescue in Toledo Ohio. One of the jobs I do is train Pyr's as LGD to adopt out to people who want an LGD, but do not want to start out with a pup, or have the expense of buying one, then getting all the vetting done. Both of my Pyr's are rescues, and are awesome LGD's. :)

I have a new foster, Terek who is a Pyrenees. He is training with my two Pyr's and my goats and chickens. So far he is doing great. His adoption fee is $225.00 and includes him, his neuter, and shots UTD. You can see more about him here http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/OH432.html

He will be ready for his new home/job in a week or so.

Thanks!

Laura

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Hi Laura, I'm not quite ready for an LGD, but will likely be in less than a year. This pre-training situation sounds perfect, with your dogs showing the newbies the ropes. How long would you give them before you would consider them reliable solo guardians?

3. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

It really depends on the dog. Terek has only been at it for a few days, and already shows great promise. Quite frankly, most of it is instinct, and age and maturity usually are the biggest factors on how long it takes for training.

Laura