Great news!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

We went to visit a new goat ranch nearby today. The people who own it were absolutely wonderful. The woman was a wealth of knowlege and helped us so much. She's raised goats for 20 years. She is so nice and I would feel comfortable calling her for help anytime. She also turned me on to a great goat vet. She is a little far away but better than the alternative. We put a deposit down on a buck that she has and I am really excited about him. I still hope we can get our buck on his feet but we needed a back up plan. She told me that Meningeal worm is a real problem and she has had 3 cases and one had progressed too far and she lost her. As I was explaining my buck's symptoms, she said that she was thinking of Meningeal worm. She gave me the recommended treatment from her vet and said that it worked. It is 3x cattle dosage Ivomec injectible, every other day for 3 doses total. Then wait 10 days and do it again. Give B complex and Probiotics daily during this. She also said to purchase the Safeguard blocks to put out from about August to the first hard frost and this is supposed to keep the goats from getting the Meningeal worms. She said this is what some people do in Michigan, where deer are out of control. Boy she had some nice stock and she breeds for meat, not shows. However, she had a solid red buck born on her place and the people are showing him and winning. I saw pictures and Wow!! So, mainly I'm just so happy and relieved to have learned some valuable information today and to know someone who is trustworthy that I can call in a jam. I just wanted to share with you all b/c everyone knows the bad problems we've had. I wish I'd have known her sooner!! That would have saved some headaches!! Anyway, I'll continue keeping everyone posted on the buck!!

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Congratulations. It is great to have someone close by that knows goats. You'll have to share a picture of your new guy when you get him.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you went by and she is willing to lend a helping hand.

Patty

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

this is the best that could happen to you. this is really good news :)

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations. God works in misterious way doesn't he?

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

It's about time you had something good happen. And thanks for passing along her deer worm treatment. Let's hope this is the start of positive things for you and your goats.

7. Milk n' Honey

I'll tell you, she had quite a setup. After 20 years, you'd know a few things I guess!! She had her bucks in indoor/outdoor runs with hotwire down low in between bucks so they don't try to fight through the fence. When the bucks come inside, they are facing the community area where all the does are and there is a walkway in between the buck runs and the community area. So, when there is a doe in heat, she hangs out next to that walkway where the bucks are and she pen breeds them all. Her kidding stalls are in the center room of the barn where there wouldn't be much draft at all. She has a warming stall for the babies to go to and she also uses it as a creep area later b/c there is a little kid sized door she can open that leads to the community area. Her barn is huge though...about 5 times the size of ours, I'm afraid. She did have us wear booties over our shoes so we didn't track anything into her barn and pasture. I think that is a good idea. If someone carried a bacteria into your pasture from theirs, you could be in for it. Her goats were all very healthy and she had some of the largest does I've ever seen!! I'm very excited about this new boy. He has some great bloodlines. I'll post a pic when I can. His name is Logan. We lost out buck today. He went down and couldn't get up. He just finally lost control and couldn't hold himself up so he would fall down and lay on his side and holler out. He was panting really hard and we just tried everything. It got to the point where I felt he was really suffering so we put him down. I just couldn't take it anymore. It is too sad to see any animal in that kind of shape. As long as he was on his feet, I was going to try to treat him. I really believe it was Meningeal worm and we just didn't catch it in time. Many times, when they start those neurological symptoms, they've already reached the brain. They only other thing I thought of was a tumor or something non-treatable. It was really sad but I'm glad he is out of his misery now. Thanks to all of you and yes, God does work in mysterious ways. At least, hopefully, something good will come out of all of this. I met someone who isn't too far away and who is very nice and helpful. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again ya'll!!

8. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Milk N Honey

Here is what I had on my site.. Not many believe in it but I do...

Goats are fun to have but at times you may run into trouble and it may get pretty hard but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel some where's. Don't give up just hang in there reason we say that is because we had some rough luck at first and maybe now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our word of advice don't give up just hang in there. If you have friends that raises goats they may can help you out also an help you hang in there. If it wasn't for a few of our-friends we would have done gave up and said forget it. Our friends told us to hang in there an it will get better. Things do get better so just hang in there. Trust us it does get better. God will help you alone if you trust in him.

Just wanted to let you know what I have on my site.. I believe in it and always will..

Good luck with your new buck when you get him.. :)

9. Milk n' Honey

AllWolf

I am very much a believer and rely on God for everything. I know not everything goes well but those who endure to the end......anyway, without God, I don't know what I'd do. He's pulled me though in some rough situations. He has blessed our lives greatly. The goats will get better I'm sure. We are sticking it out. I'm afraid that if this buck dies, we will have to get out b/c I don't think my husband will put anymore money into getting through this breeding season. So, I'm praying that this buck stays healthy and we can get our girls bred!! He is a pretty boy so I'm expecting great things!! Thank you for your kind words. I'm right on board with you!! God bless, MnH