Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 3 above zero last night and one of my does had her babies. We have a hutch outside under a pine tree, 3/4 is wire cage and 1/4 an enclosed area with a "door" for her to come and go. At 27 days I put in LOTS of good hay in the enclosed area and on day 30 she started to pull her hair. Last night, day 31, she had her buns. I checked on them before I went to bed and she had them burrowed deep in the hay with fur under, over and around them....they were soooo toasty warm. All is well tonight, she has have lots of warm water today, warmer tonight about 15 above. I got her at a poultry auction this spring, she was @ 9 months then. She is large, grey -black coat. She was not bred before we got her and this is her forth litter for us!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
That IS a great doe. You hang onto her and save the most promising female kits to increase your breeding stock. Good does are fairly common, but really, really good ones don't come along that often.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add...This fall she fostered two from another litter that were 3 days older....:bow:

·
Registered
611 Posts
PERFECT doe you have there!! Your very lucky. Ive got some great moms as well, havnt been breeding for very long but ive go a few due in the next few weeks, ill see if I can compete with you..:D

Jesse

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's great, keep her around! I only have one really good doe and the rest are just ok to good.......except for that one. She might not get to stay around very long if she doesn't start co-operating!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts