Great!!! Doe With Mastitis..help.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I have NO idea why she got mastitis. Cher, my milk doe that I just started trying to dry up a couple weeks before Christmas now has Mastitis in her right side. I noticed for a couple days she seemed a little painful and today I squeezed to see if I could relieve some pressure on that side as she is still bagged up and sure enough, chunky, like thin cottage cheese. Not much. I just milked her out completely on both sides, as the left side was really tight too and I didn't want to take a chance that there might be mastitis there too. It did not appear to. I gave her 3cc Pen. Procaine G (all I had on Christmas Day). She is running fever and I have put one of my big, long tail sweatshirts on her which she seemed to really appreciate, to keep her from getting too chilled.
    Am I giving her the right penicillin? What do I need to get to infuse in her infected udder? SHould I go ahead and treat both sides just for good measure? and....WHY did this happen. The last day I milked her out she was fine. I washed her before I milked and I sprayed afterwards like I always did. I have not had a problem with her at all this summer. But...now that I am trying to dry her up she gets Mastitis. :no: She is also still thin. I thought once I quit milking her she would possibly put on a little weight, but she hasn't and I did get some BOSS and added to the alfalfa pellets that I am feeding them along with fresh coastal hay. Anything else I need to be doing for her?

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Did you do an actual mastitis test?

We have one doe that gets mastitis on the same side every year, no matter what. Cephapirin Sodium 10ml intramammary clears her up within 2-3 days.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Wombat where do you get this Cephapirin Sodium don't think I have heard of it.

4. Lt. Wombat

I bought a box of pre loaded syringes at Running's (formerly Tractor Supply). $20.49 for 12.

Box reads:
    ToDAY Cephapirin Sodium, One-Day Treatment LACTATING COWS. NDC 0856-02727-1
    NADA 97-222

Fort Dodge Animal Health, FDA Approved

Hope this helps

5. Milking Mom

Thanks for the reply. No. I didn't do a test. Her udder is hot and kind of red. When I milked the right side it squirted little chunky stuff that was a little discolored, kind of yellowish. She was painful on the right side, walking almost with a slight limp as she was trying not to rub her back leg up against her udder. I did not take her temperature either, but I think she had fever because she was shaking really bad. I put one of my big sweat shirts on her and it helped. The other girls weren't that cold, but she was just so cold and just looked like she didn't feel good. Is that all you do is squirt the Today in the infected teat? Or do you give any penicillin injections also? or no need to do that? I am trying to dry her up. Should I keep milking her out until this clears up and then quit milking again?

6. Lt. Wombat

What we did was milk her completely out (little stringy's everywhere), then injected the medication. Repeated the next day then let her alone. She still has a little clear liquid in the udder but the mastitis test shows neg and the string cheese is gone. As I said earlier, she has done this every year since we got her. Milks like crazy (gallon per milking) but when we dry her off the one side (always the same side) gets mastitis.

7. Sondra Peterson

yes you would need to milk her out like Wombat says.
    Thanks Wombat re: the Today that is what I used just didn't know it by that name you used

8. guest-Kaye

guest-Kaye Guest

If you are giving Penn-g (Im,SQ)for the mastitus....it won't help.It won't cross into the udder.It will help with secondary infections.Naxcell is the drug of choice for matitus.Given SQ or IM it WILL cross into the udder and/or uterus-for uterine infections.3 day milk withdrawl. Dose...1cc/50# first 3 days...then 1cc/100# for 2 more days.

Pirsue(pirlimycin hydrochloride)is a prescription mastitus treatment-obtained from a vet.Infuse the affected *quarter*.Repeat treatment once after 24-hr. interval. BUT continue to milk every 12 hrs.Discard milk for 36hrs. after last treatment.Meat withdrawl-9 days after last treatment.

There is another treatment but it's not approved and has a milk withdrawl of about 3 mo.!

I would not dry this doe up until she tests clean on a CMT test.Your just leaving the offending bacteria in the udder.She also needs to be dry treated when you do get the mastitus cleared up.

She could also use a little banamine for pain/fever.1/2 cc/50# once every 24 hrs.-milk withdrawl:4 days,meat-14 days.

Hope this helps some.
    Kaye

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I agree with Kaye.

Penicillin is fine for staph, esepcially when used in conjunction with other things (infusions and other antibiotics systemically). The problem with just using an antibitoic or just an infusion, and especially picking one when you don't know what you are dealing with is that it comes back, or it ruins the udder. Neither are acceptable to me.

I always pull clean samples from both sides before I start treating, then treat while I wait for the lab to tell me if I am doing right or not.

I do choose to use way off label drugs to clear mastitis, because if the end result is a ruined udder half I can't show or milk, than it isn't worth it to me. Using gentamyacin will clear her udder, it will also take her off the milkstring for months, but it will heal her udder. There is the vet route which will leave you with an unusable udder, why dairy cows are auctioned rather than treated, the holistic way which is still going to leave you with mastitic material in the udder which will flare up the next freshening, and then you have the curl your toes way most of us do it :) Pick your poison. Call me if you want the protocoal Kaye and I are talking about. Vicki

10. guest-Kaye

guest-Kaye Guest

This blasted forum won't let me sign in!
    Hi Vicki,
    I fully agree with the off-lable use of gentocin...cleared up a really nasty case of mastitus.(thanks to weekend babysitter-who was too lazy to milk twice a day!aarrggghh!) It left that udder in "show shape" and soft as a glove and she hasn't had a trace of mastitus since!If they won't show,place high AND milk around here...they either end up cleaning fence rows someplace else or sausage!

After re-reading my post...I guess I should have been more explicit.Vicki's right...just infusion,or just shot..doesn't help your problem.You HAVE to follow it through all the way to dry off treatments to save an udder and the tissue within.By all means...anyone that shows a trace of mastitus during the year needs to be dry treated.Here,I'm a worry wart,so everyone gets dry treated!
    <VBG> Really want a messed up udder....go to a vet that DOESN'T want to culture a milk sample and give you the correct meds. to treat it!Or do like a lot of us...draw your own sample and take it to your state lab.You will get the results and what to treat it with.
    Kaye White
    Tivio Toggs
    http://www.freewebs.com/tiviotoggs

11. Milking Mom

Thanks for the info. I went to town this a.m. and got a box of Today. I infused the right side and already gave her another shot of Pen. when I read this this eve and found it isn't doing any good. She is feeling lots better. Milking that swollen red hot udder down helped tremendously. I didn't get as much stringy chunky stuff out today before I infused and there was yellowish, watery liquid in with it, nothing that resembled milk. There is still some milk in her left side, but I have not been milking that out all the way. I did milk her out completely (both sides) the first day because she was SOO full. Once I get this mastitis under control I need to dry treat...........Tell me exactly how to do that. I am going to print out this entire post when I am done and put it in my notebook........because next year I'll forget again if I need it. Thanks so much for all of your help guys! :)

12. goater NLI

goater NLI Guest

What lab do you use for testing? Do you know of a good lab for routine testing of milk samples?

Goater's Hubby

13. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hello GH, this last spring I used Texas A&M but have also used Langston in Oklahoma before. Now that Lousianna has a mastitis clinic up it Homer (where Tim Pruitt is from) I would send samples into them.

By the by, after you left I started thinking about this whole milking machine thing, guess I should have been thinking while you where here?? :) I turned the screw down on my pulsator (it is set loose because my regular milker is so powerful) and VIOLA!!! it was humming along! I am an IDIOT! That was definently the problem. Vicki

14. Sondra Peterson

Ok so what is the address at Homer or how do we find it and also are you sending in samples are you using test tubes for milk to send in and do you buy them locally??

15. Milking Mom

How do you dry treat?

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

There are almost as many Dry treatments as there are *wet*.

Tomorrow (Fort Dodge)~300mg of cephapirin benzathine-as soon as you feel this doe is drying up...ie..haven't milked her in say...4 days, strip her out,use alcohol pad and clean that teat end very good! Then using the infusion tube...stick just the tip in orfice-*note* Do not stick the whole tip in the orfice.Most come with two screw off caps~short one and whole tip~you'll see.Anyway,infuse the whole tube into one side,pinch end of teat to prevent leaking and push upward to send med. into udder.Massage udder to spread med. Then don't milk her anymore until freshening.
    Won't hurt to do both sides. I generally do just because.

Other treatments: Albadry Plus~Novobiocin 400mg and penicillin g procaine 200,000 per 10m.....Biodry-novobiocin....Cefa-Dri~same as Tomorrow(only cheaper).

Or you can pm me and I'll give you the off label treatment.
    Kaye

17. Milking Mom

Thanks Kaye. I saw the box of Tomorrow sitting right beside the box of Today. I'll pick up a box of that. I massage her udder and it feels fine except for a spot about the size of a 50 cent piece at the back of the udder where the teat attaches to the udder. It feels kind of thick or hard (not pliable). I massage it all over really well.