Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This advertisement appeared in a local Big Nickel Shopper. Maybe someone would be interested in calling and finding out more about it. The area code 620 is located in Kansas. I don't know where the actual property is.

For sale 10.27 acres (more or less), with fruit and nut trees. 2 bedroom triler with two storage shed and storm shelter. Asking $35,000. Call 620 783 5201.

I hope this helps somebody who is looking to move out of town and into the country.

donsgal

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's a bit more in the southeast corner than we want to be. We are about 1hr from there. It would be awesome if it was closer to our area, though. Houses in town here reasonable, but to touch land with a house out of town around here requires much money.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
KS is known for having tornadoes so that's probably why the trailer is going for cheap.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Galena might have been affected by the recent floods also. I was down around Baxter Springs a week ago, and there were some pecan groves that were still sitting in several inches of water.

6,637 Posts
donsgal said:
This advertisement appeared in a local Big Nickel Shopper. Maybe someone would be interested in calling and finding out more about it. The area code 620 is located in Kansas. I don't know where the actual property is.

For sale 10.27 acres (more or less), with fruit and nut trees. 2 bedroom triler with two storage shed and storm shelter. Asking $35,000. Call 620 783 5201.

I hope this helps somebody who is looking to move out of town and into the country.

donsgal
WOW. that would be a nice start, wouldnt it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well..... as I lived in Joplin for 30 years and know the Galena area well..
I would say that it might be a good deal but people don't sell that cheap without a reason.
That area is undermined big time and it was lead mines so there is a lot of lead in the top soil in many areas.
Flooding could also be an issue but it would depend on where it is.

I am not saying it isn't a good deal but I would check it out very carefully before I bought it.
Most people don't post their property in the Big Nickel. They would use a realtor.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corky said:
Well..... as I lived in Joplin for 30 years and know the Galena area well..
I would say that it might be a good deal but people don't sell that cheap without a reason.
That area is undermined big time and it was lead mines so there is a lot of lead in the top soil in many areas.
Flooding could also be an issue but it would depend on where it is.

I am not saying it isn't a good deal but I would check it out very carefully before I bought it.
Most people don't post their property in the Big Nickel. They would use a realtor.
Lots and lots and lots of people hate realtors. Having been one myself for the past two years, I can say they have many good reasons! LOL

As for the mines you are so correct. However, it has not stopped builders from putting up $250,000 houses on them. There is a subdivision going up near Webb City that a year ago was little mounds of mine tailings, and now it is "upscale" housing. Just another reason to know about the area's history before you plunk down a couple of hundred grand on a house. I'm told there are stories of houses whose foundations have caved in due to undermining.

If I were in the market for some cheap land/house, I'd check it out, though.

donsgal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts