Great country neighbors.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mutti, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We've been having a run of great luck....first, a neighbor wanted to get rid of a cast iron wood stove, big one with double doors for FREE....only took our three strong backs to move it. Then another neighbor had a table saw that she had no garage to store it in past getting her barn stalls completed so we aree her storage unit and get to use it all we need. Another neighbor let us turn his Angus bull in with our Hereford girls which makes the popular Missouri black baldies that sell the best around here. Lastly, another neighbor wants to put in a water line and hydrant so we are going halfsies on renting the trencher next week and doing the project together...finally a frost free hydrant instead of those horrid hoses. Winter watering will be a snap. We are so fortunate to have great neighbors up and down our road :)--how about you??? DEE

2. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

I have wonderful neighbors too. We moved here in the middle of winter and our van died in the driveway on our last trip. The next day they came over and offered to lend me their car if I needed to go into town or to take me if I preferred. The husband plowed my driveway all winter and mows my grass with his tractor. They pulled me out of the ditch twice over the winter when I got stuck. Lends tools and help just for the asking. They don't complain about the barking dogs, roaming chickens or the ducks that love their front lawn. We have campfires together when weather permits(not as much as I thought we would because IT WON"T QUIT RAINING!). I try to pay them back as much as possible with fresh eggs and when i had a few chickens butchered and anything I can do for them I would. They won't ever take payment they just say thats what neighbors are for. I always feel good knowing that if I had an emergency I would have help as we have no family within 2 hours and are new to the area. My neighbors are the most wonderful family anyone could ever hope to live near.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Be grateful you have “country” neighbors and not city transplants! While we have no close neighbors we do have people living out here and, unfortunately, most of the new ones suffer form “city mentalities”: i.e. we didn’t move to the country just to keep our pets behind fences.

I used to give a warning to the owners when their dogs came onto the property, now I just shoot them and hang them on the fence near the hwy so the owners are sure to find them. In the last 3 years we have shot 7 dogs and untold number of cats. Now don’t label me a pet hater, we have 3 working dogs and a pet, but none has ever left this property off a leash. And no we don't have animal control or shelter here. To date we have had 3 people threaten legal action who later were floored when the sheriff told them I was 100% in the right. Even a lawyer (and we all knwo they will sue just about anyone for anything) told a fmaily they did not have a leg to stand on as this is livestock country and livestock producers have the right to defend their stock.

As for our country neighbors, it is a lovely give / take relationship. Yesterday a bunch of us got together and put up 10 tons of hay for the widow woman across the way. Our pay: one fo the best suppers I have had in a shile.

Today we’re going to do some fence mending for a gal down the canyon before her husband comes home from Iraq tomorrow afternoon.

Country folks are the best!!

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, two of our best neighbors moved here from California...one bought the farm next door and the sister-in-law got half of it to build her place. They keep their places up beautifully and their dogs to home(one has 11 greyhounds and an Irish wolfhound inside!) plus she raises mini horses...has been known to call the vet for a dogs broken toenail...but hey,they are her "kids". Our other best neighbor has lived here all his life...went to the one room school house that was on this property and he's still logging at 80 years old!!! Oh, the stories he tells. Guess we are just lucky so we try to be the best of neighbors ourselves. DEE

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I only have two close neighbors. The ones who own property behind us are terrific...they're the oldest family in the neighborhood and are very helpful. They bush-hog our place when we can't (hubby had back surgery in May) and they've been giving me tomatoes and cantaloupe because I wasn't able to have a garden this year.

Our neighbors on the side are a different story. They ride fourwheelers in our pastures without permission, they allow people to fish on our side of the pond (we share a pond) without notifying us and the people throw their trash everywhere (they even let their grandson fish in the pond in our front yard without asking permission!!!). The topper was yesterday. They let their dogs out and I found them tearing into my chicken coop. The dogs had already killed one guinea.

By the way, it is illegal to shoot someone's dog here in MS.

6. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

I just had a neighbor help me shell my purplehull peas.I was going to take them to the feed store to have them shelled but she insisted I bring them over to her house.She is 91yrs old and misses gardening.While we were shelling them the preacher came to visit and he helped while he was there.Then another neighbor of hers came by to bring her some tomatoes and she helped us finish them.The neighbor told me to bring them over to their house the next time because they have a pea sheller.

Tambo

7. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I have the best neighbors. Only time we see each other is when an alarm sounds. Then we all meet up armed to chase whoever did the break in. After the cops leave we all go home and avoid each other. :)

8. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a few close neighbors, but nobody ever bothers anyone unless there's an emergency. We have 3 old men neighbors that are widowed and DH fits right in with and they're always mowing or painting or doing some kind of fix-up project together when they're off work. Right now, they're up the road fishing at a neighbor's lake. As for me, I'm keeping the clotheslines full and taking advantage of this awesome weather.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I like our neighbors because generally they sit down and talk about something if it is on their mind about the neighborhood. I have been in the wrong and had to set it right, others have done kind deeds for us. Some as transplanted as we are. We pick up trash once a year along the road together for the length of it beyond all property lines. We have dinners occassionally when the snow socks us in. Others dig out trucks, plow roads and give massages in exchange. Its really great.

I have found that to have good neighbors I need to be one. Even when doing the right thing is costly in money or pride or difficult. Always return a wave and smile, even at the ornery neighbor kids you keep an extra eye on. We plan on staying here a long time and want it to be pleasant.

Just yesterday we helped a new 'neighbor' (about 12 miles away) get moved in. She suddenly decided to give my sister a rocking chair there wasn't room for! Wow! That was a kind unexpected deed.

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Nothing makes life in the country better than good neighbors. At my country place, my neighbors are friends from the city. They moved there first, & then convinced me to buy the land next door to them. They were able to do the real homesteading experience while I had to stay with my city job. But, in a few years I'll be able to retire & move there for good. In the mean time, they keep an eye on my place & even mow when I can't get down there to do it. There is nothing better than good neighbors.

11. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

You are so right! Nuttin' like 'em!

Our neighbors share seeds AND food! What we can't grow, they do etc. And when we are gone, they watch the place.

One thing I noticed lately, which is actually pretty sad... (a bit off topic here)..is when I drive down the road and wave to the kids at the bus stops, many don't wave. I think the "city" has destroyed them. Parents have told them not to WAVE to strangers! Can't say that I blame them since there are so many kooks out there. But I remember when I was growing up in the 60's/70's we waved and talked to everyone. Since I never was able to have children, I have a "heart" for them. But when they don't wave back, it hurts a bit. Anyone else get the "no waving"?

12. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Perhaps you should ask them if they mind your animals in their yard, and nobody likes barking dogs. They may love you for neighbors, but someday they will have enough barking and duck crap. BTW i have ducks and a dog.

I dont want to be mean, but be as kind to them as they are to you, keep your animals up, and your dogs quiet. That will make them long lasting friends.