Grease patties to contro mites?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Terri, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Does anybody do this?

If you have had good success, I would like your recipe! :)

2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, I do it. Can't say with certainty that it works, but it also doesn't hurt. 50/50 sugar and crisco. I melt and mix, but you could just mix cold.

3. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

Recipe for grease patties from the book "Beekeeping for Dummies" by Holwand Blackiston" Beekeeper & co-owner of bee-commerce.com

1 1/2 pound of solid vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
    4 pounds of granulated sugar
    1/2 pound of honey
    1/3 cup of mineral salt (the orange/brown salt available at farm supply stores used to feed to livestock). Pulverize the salt in a blender breaking it into a fine consistency.

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Form into about a dozen hamburger-size patties. Unused patties may be stored in a resealable plastic food bag and kept frozen until ready to use. It is recommended by the author of this book to use these patties year round even during the honey harvest season.

Option: you can add 45 milliliters (1.5 ounces) of natural wintergreen oil to the mixture, provided the you're not using this treatment while honey for human consumption is on the hive.

We used a sized down recipe and did not use mineral salt.
    Best wishes & good luck,----- Philbee

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

It is a good Idea never to use honey from a source you do not no. It is a good way to get AFB.

:D Al