Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of my leaf lettuce is getting to the point where it grows lots of little leaves at the top and they are not developing into larger leaves. Does that mean this plant should be pulled up and a new one started?

Also the leaves on the bean plants - especially the larger one are getting eaten - DH thinks it is the ants - there are large holes in some of the leaves. Does anyone know what is causing it? How to stop it? And if it/they will damage the beans?

I am new at this and just thrilled at this point that we can produce anything edible!
TIA
Bev

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
It sounds like your lettuce is bolting (going to seed). So, either leave it in the ground so you can gather seeds, or pull the plant so you have room for a new crop. Once lettuce gets to this point, it is pretty much inedible.

Do you have Japanese Beetles in your area? They are the only bugs that I know of that eat the bean leaves. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't identified any others in my garden.

·
Registered
555 Posts
slugs will eat bean leaves, If thay aren't eaten up to 1/2 the plant then the beans will be okay. The lettuce is going to seed. Grasshoppers will eat the beans as well. If it is grass hoppers, next year encourge song birds around your garden to eat the grass hoppers, by planting flowers around the garden, or set out bird seed now to help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The lettuce is bolting and is very bitter. Re-plant once average highs are below 85. If temps are above 78, use more seed than normal to get decent germination.

If your beans have chew holes above a few feet in the ground, then most likely it is bean beetles or grasshoppers.

For bean beetles, I use rotenone (organic). For things without legs, I use DiPel (also organic). I'm not sure what you'd use for grasshoppers but a decent garden shop could help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Grasshoppers can be eliminated by sprinkling some cheep flour all around. If they are eating your been leaves, water your beans and while the leaves are wet, sprinkle some flour all over the leaves. What happens is they eat the flour and it dry's and their mouth is glued shut and they die. Simple but it works.
joyce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts