Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1.5 acres of very good Elysian bermuda that is well established and have very good soil. Could I raise 2 calves to slaughter on this amount of land?

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Are you going to feed them any grain? Are you going to have a long dry spell this summer? Those two things make a difference in how your pasture will hold up.. They will need hay in the winter. However with ideal conditions you could have enough grass. Especially if you fertilize the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uncle Will in In. said:
Are you going to feed them any grain? Are you going to have a long dry spell this summer? Those two things make a difference in how your pasture will hold up.. They will need hay in the winter. However with ideal conditions you could have enough grass. Especially if you fertilize the ground.
Thank you Uncle Will. Yes I would feed them occassional grain and of course I don't know about the dry spells. I already have square bales of hay in loft already for the winter. Thanks again.

·
Banned
6,049 Posts
definately! :) Just keep in mind the bigger the breed you get the more it will push your pasture limit. And some cows are better at making use of less. We have Dexters and Highlands and they take a 1/2 acre per cow. But they would be pricey for feeder calves. I would go with a more medium size type calf like an Angus or a crossbreed to test it out.
Patt

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Chester said:
Thank you Uncle Will. Yes I would feed them occassional grain and of course I don't know about the dry spells. I already have square bales of hay in loft already for the winter. Thanks again.
just in case....

you shouldn't feed grain to cattle occassionally. it messes with their rumen. you either need to feed them grain daily, or not feed them grain daily.

if you knew that, sorry, but like i said....just in case.

jena

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jena said:
just in case....

you shouldn't feed grain to cattle occassionally. it messes with their rumen. you either need to feed them grain daily, or not feed them grain daily.

if you knew that, sorry, but like i said....just in case.

jena
Interesting? I have been around cattle all my short life and had never heard that but it does make sense. :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Chester, grazing requirements can range from an acre a cow to 100 acres a cow, depending on climate and location.You would be better off asking local producers who know your local conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts