Grazing requirements

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Chester, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Chester

Chester New Member

I have 1.5 acres of very good Elysian bermuda that is well established and have very good soil. Could I raise 2 calves to slaughter on this amount of land?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you going to feed them any grain? Are you going to have a long dry spell this summer? Those two things make a difference in how your pasture will hold up.. They will need hay in the winter. However with ideal conditions you could have enough grass. Especially if you fertilize the ground.

3. Chester

Chester New Member

Thank you Uncle Will. Yes I would feed them occassional grain and of course I don't know about the dry spells. I already have square bales of hay in loft already for the winter. Thanks again.

4. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

definately! :) Just keep in mind the bigger the breed you get the more it will push your pasture limit. And some cows are better at making use of less. We have Dexters and Highlands and they take a 1/2 acre per cow. But they would be pricey for feeder calves. I would go with a more medium size type calf like an Angus or a crossbreed to test it out.
    Patt

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

just in case....

you shouldn't feed grain to cattle occassionally. it messes with their rumen. you either need to feed them grain daily, or not feed them grain daily.

if you knew that, sorry, but like i said....just in case.

jena

6. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

Interesting? I have been around cattle all my short life and had never heard that but it does make sense. :eek:

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Chester, grazing requirements can range from an acre a cow to 100 acres a cow, depending on climate and location.You would be better off asking local producers who know your local conditions.