grazing books?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by .netDude, Mar 12, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Anyone read either of these?

-Greener Pasture on Your Side of the Fence: Better Farming Voisin Management-Intensive Grazing (4th Edition) by Bill Murphy

-Small Scale Livestock Farming : A Grass-Based Approach for Health, Sustainability, and Profit by Carol Ekarius

Any reviews?

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I haven't read the books, but I would think that a book, unless written for a regional audience, would not be very useful for learning about pasture management and/or grazing. There are too many variables based on where you are, the climate, soils, etc.

The best grazing stuff I ever got was from the extension as it was specific to my area.

Jena

3. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Thanks Jena, I kind of figured that would be the case. Guess I was hoping for a response to the effect of ..' this works in zones x, this does not work so much in zone 5..' and so on.

I'll see what I can get from Cornell extension.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Have read the second one, and I own a book titled Beef cattle in the south, As the name implies its geared to the southern breeder.Was wrote by a prof. at L S U years ago. there are books for the northern breeders too. Just haft to look