graze-proof trees to block out neighbor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Debbie in MO, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Debbie in MO

Debbie in MO Active Member

Hi, I need some advice for some trees to plant along the fence line in our south pasture about 100 yards from out house. The new neighbors are not what we had hoped, have no pride in their own property and no respect for anyone else's. They don't keep their fences up and their calves and horses are always getting out. There is a lot of junk piling up and they seem to collect old horse and stock trailers. The view to the south is not very nice anymore. We'd like some suggestions on trees or tall shrubs to plant along our fence line in our pasture to sort of cover the ugliness. The thing is, they have to be something that our horses or future cattle won't nibble and won't get sick if they try to, and grow fairly fast and hopefully not become ineffective over the winter by losing its leaves. A tall order, I'll bet, but if anyone can help, you all can! I live in east central missouri. Thanks, Debbie

2. Debbie in MO

Debbie in MO Active Member

:haha: P.s. I meant to type "about 100 yards frome OUR house". We sadly lack an outhouse! :)

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have similar problems with our neighbor just to the south of us. We're going to plant cedar trees along the fence line. We have plenty of baby cedars all over this place and will be transplanting them this winter. Cedars grow really fast.

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of (threatening with myself LOL) to plant a nice fat row of Red Tipped Photenias, but don't know what my horses will do with/to them? Or rather, what they Photenias might do to THEM?? Anyone??

Oh.. they are evergreen.. turning red leafed in the winter. They get enormous, as well and are drought resistant.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

red tips grow a lot faster im not shure iff there good grazing thell grow about 3 feet a year and iff you plant them close enough a bull cant run through them

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

But cedars are free! :D

7. wheeezil

wheeezil Well-Known Member

kudzu it will attack the neighbors!

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I bought some bushes a few years back.They where simple called variegated.Not sure what they are sence ive been told that variegated just meant that the leaf color was green divided by two stripes of white.The leaves are about finger nail size.Anyway im not sure if live stock would eat them or if they would hurt them if they did,(i dought either)but they are 6ft tail in three years and so thick you can not see threw them.The tag said they get 6by15ft (somewhere around that).
    Anyone have any idea what these are?

Lowe's sells them for around 3 to 9 bucks depending on there size.I paid .99cents apiece at Fred's for mine.

9. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

Here's another vote for cedar. It's what I'm planting along my property lines. It's dense, and a year round foliage and the cows don't seem to eat it.

Also cedar wood is a very usable wood if you ever cut any of them down.

Also consider 'colorado blue spruce' if you can get them to grow in Missouri...we had them in Michigan and they are a very fast growing and heavy foliaged evergreen, and definitely would make a good "vision-break" from your neighbors.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Check with your county extension and see if they have a fall tree sale you could also get vines or berries with pickers.

mikell

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i find that the ticks like to hang out in ceder

12. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Cedars might make a good screen and grow fast, but they like water - lots of it. A Texas A&M study indicates that a typical 15-foot-tall cedar uses about 35 gallons of water per day - about twice the amount as oak trees do. That might be something to consider in your plans as well.

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

;) osage orange (double check with your county extention office to make sure it'll not be an issue) those things grow like weeds and make an awsome natural fence line. We had them in our goat/cattle pasture and never had any issues with the animals killing them or them killing/making sick the animals.

14. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

We put Leland Cypress all around our property lines. First we were trying to cover up a neighbor but then I told DH to do it all. Who knows what will happen down the road? We planted at least a hundred and they are all doing fine. We wanted an evergreen that would shield year round. We did it 3 years ago and they are looking pretty good now. If I ever buy another place I will plant trees all along the property line before I do anything else.