graywater

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, Apr 18, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I run all my graywater (kitchen sink, bathtube, washer) down a pipe about 25'-36' from the camp and about 3'-4' deep and place some mulch and gravel at the end, would this be safe?

Thanks
    Danny

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if you promise not to tell the local athorities, this is how I temp'ed up my moms kitchen drains.
    that was 20 yrs ago, just now starting to show a wet spot along that ditch.
    mine was only 18" deep and 10 feet long, it handled all the kithen drains fine.

I put in a new drain up to the kitchen so when I get to it, i will patch it in.

the showers have always been piped out on a gravel bed.... new sewage athority so I have to clean up the evidence.

if your ground leaches well, i bet a whole houses greywater can be piped right into a 30' leachpipe burried in gravel, as deep as you suggest.

local laws may say no so check wioth the local communist party control center.

3. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Hope so.......I've been sending mine out to back pasture for 20+ years. In fact, during the drought of the late 90's - I hooked up 1.5" pipe so I could water trees in same pasture. Worked well.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

cn has it .local athoritys will want the grey water to go through a septic then leach field or a holding tank and pump. one of those cases of a baseball bat for a gnat. we used to run the grey water out on the garden with no ill effects but moe hyper regulates now (wife is a water/waste water tech and the reg changes each month make a small book) .case of do and keep quiet!!!

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Depends on how much work you're going to give it. If it REALLY is a camp with only occasional use then it would work. Whether it is legal or not is another issue, and getting caught doing something that is against the law or even against regulations can be a real costly exercise.

I can't say whether you'd face issues with freezing. Don't know for you there, and it sure ain't a worry for me.

You would do better to run your kitchen-sink water through a grease-trap. Might also apply to laundry water if your clothes get greasy or fatty. A grease-trap is sort of like a miniature septic tank. You could make a nice one out of a plastic 200/220-litre (55 USGallon) drum. or something quite a bit smaller. Problem with kitchen waste water is that the grease it contains clogs up the pores in soil, and then your soil no longer absorbs the wastewater. A grease-trap lets the grease float to the top of the water and solidify, while the water drains away below the grease level. Any food debris settles and the tank eats it like a miniature seotic tank. Once a year you clean out the grease-trap (surface grease AND settled sediment).