Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im eyeballing a gravely for sale to use on my exoanding garden. I dont think ill ever get over 1acre can a gravely handle that?

I have never used a "rotary plow" how worked does the soil need to be for it to handle it? If i rip up the sod with the big tractor this fall and let it farrow all winter will the rotary plow be abke to handle it in the spring? Or do i need to run a rototiller over it first?

Any tips on what to look for when buying it? I know to make sure it runs and drives in all gears and the pto works but any common issues to check for?

Its listed at 500$ with a mower and rotary plow which is cheaper than others ive seen listed around here.

Im hoping this will be a better investment than 800$ for a big box rototiller that can only do one thing a d isnt built very tough

·
Registered
592 Posts
Tough old Machines. It may be one w/ the original engine VRS the later one w/ a Kohler mounted instead. Great mowers. No experience w/ the rotary plow but in low gear the machine has the power.

There are a few forums and a section on tractor by net. too...

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I've had 2 Gravelys, and wish I still had one. Tough old machines. The rotary plow shaft can be dropped down to the desired depth. Plows deeper than a regular rototiller. It'll easily take care of an acre. I also used to use mine to dig holes for planting trees.

The mower is heavy duty, easily tough as a DR brush machine, but does a good job mowing. I cleared about 2 acres of brush with one in a day.

$500 is a good price, I sold my last one for $800.

One word of caution, if it comes with the sulky, don't use it. The first time you try to turn up hill you'll be singing soprano.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my first Gravely this summer and I love it. Mine's an L8 which means 4 fwd and 4 rev speeds. It's a 1966 model so it has the gravely engine. Handles my 40" mower just fine. I have a brush mower for it, but it was beat up when I got it and I haven't got it going yet. It has a steering sulky so it's a little more friendly on the jewels. I've only tried the rotary plow once while I was plowing up the garden this past weekend, and it is a great improvement over my tiller. It chewed up everything and even uprooted the corn and sunflower stalks I couldn't pull up by hand. It didn't fight me near as much as the tiller, and there's no way I would have tried to till with the stalks still in the ground. There's still plenty of parts around, and a few places are making new parts for them. Check out YouTube-lots of videos of people plowing up sod and using other attachments. There's a few forums for them too.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive always wanted somthing like this.im going to get it! Makes more sense than buying 3pt atachemnts for such a small area

1 - 5 of 5 Posts