gravel versus cement???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MaKettle, Jun 3, 2004.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

DH has been using a pole barn for storing firewood. Midwest has been hit with lots of rain. Big wet spot has developed inside bld about 10' from corner where downspout is located. Dirt in that corner is relatively dry, considering the amount of rain we've had. He wants to dig out the wet spot (it is about 3' to 4' in diameter) and fill it in with cement. Many sacks of cement. :( I'm thinking it would be better to fill it in with gravel. Many wheelbarrows of gravel. Then we got into a discussion of what sort of gravel--crushed limestone, big gravel, pea gravel?? Actually I'm thinking wait a couple days till it rains again, and check to see what the gutters are doing. But he is sure a spring or something is pushing to the surface. Anyway--any advice would be appreciated.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I would use gravel ,Its not only cheaper but will be easier to work with.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Does this wet spot appear after every heavy rain or is it a one time occurance?

I'm wondering if the wet spot isn't caused by a rising shallow watertable due to recharge by the rain. If this is the case, you might not be able to dig out the wet spot as it will just fill with water as the soil is removed.

4. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

if it's a spring, good luck. i got one that comes up at my back porch and i dug a ditch leading about 40 feet away to a lower spot and filled with gravel and drain tile. now i have 2 wet spots. dagone thing seems to defy the laws of gravity :(

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I would either properly cement the whole floor (6" of gravel, 4-5" of rebared concrete); properly gravel the whole floor (6" or more in this case more might be good); or just dig out & fill the spot with gravel or limestone.

I would not make one small spot of concrete in the middle of the floor. Heaving in frost, sinking in the wet spot, I think that would be a really ugly thing to remove again in a year or 2 when it is in the way.

Just graveling the wet spot probably won't help much, as it will still retain water there. Digging the whole floor out 4" and putting 6-8" of gravel (or limestone) back in would be the best.

Also, fixing the drainage & gutters outside might be a lot easier.

I would not want a small lump of concrete in any case. JIMHO

--->Paul