Gravel Roads are Good

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 7, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well the Rich Folks across the Creek didn't like all the dust and mud from the Gravel Roads.Complained enough until the County did something about it.

Well we drove over to town.Where the roads were Gravel they were very clean.But get over by the Rich Folks.At least 3" of ice.

Well I just read in the paper what the problem was.The County put down Chip and Seal.So they couldn't put the Blade down to scrape the ice off,because it would tear the road up. :shrug:

big rockpile

2. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

When they paved my uncle's nice woodland gravel road, they cleared the entire right-of-way, it was no longer a woodland road:(

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

EPA has those anti-dust laws coming.

This is a BIG DEAL.

All dust us humans make will have to be reduced.

If we think NAIS was a bad deal, look into _these_ regulations.......... Oy.

The rich folks will get all gravel roads banned, among other things. Including tilling your garden.......

Dust is evil. It must be eliminated......

--->Paul

4. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Are we gonna be in trouble out here in SD. With the wind and dry conditions, even the deer can kick up quite a bit of dust.

I keep saying if they turned off all those big fans over by the Brookings and Pipestone area, maybe that would help.

C

5. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Yeah they just hate seeing the chipped paint on their Beemers........ :grump:

You oughtta hear em howl around here when we fertilize our fields.....the whining is so bad most farmers are wearing ear plugs now...... :p

6. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

Hey Rock -
    We're not that far from you...we have a gravel road and it's STILL under 3" of solid ice!... and the county road is clear!

7. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Maybe it is a regional thing, but around here there is a big
    awareness push about impervious surfaces=bad. The impervious (sp?)
    surfaces do not allow the contaminants on the roadway to be filtered through the ground before they end up in groundwater. More impervious
    surfaces also affects water runoff because there is less ground to soak up
    a hard rain so erosion and flooding could be created.

Or maybe it is another government 'Left hand doesn't know what the
    Right hand is doing' sort of thing.
    Our gov't doesn't do that, does it? :rolleyes:

I'll have to do some checking to see who is pushing the info here.

8. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Are you across the river? :shrug:

9. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

:p I was outside this afternoon, and the person with me was talking about how cold and windy it was. I chuckled to myself and secretly thought, "this is NOTHING compared to Brookings!"

I've read quite a bit about this as well. I live in a suburban county, and there's a big push for porous driveways and patio pavers, for the reason you mentioned.

10. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

I miss our tree lined gravel road....

11. big rockpile

Did you read what I'm talking about in the Paper?

You get over on our Highway it is State,it was clear right off.Then you get on Gravel going through Winchester Gap,its clear.Get started out of the Gap nothing but ice.

But that was a big deal durring the Election,them over the county wanting to Chip and Seal all the County Gravel Roads.One of them running was saying there was more importante things like getting Jobs in the County.

big rockpile

12. big rockpile

No their on the South side of the County.

big rockpile

13. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    They can whine all they like here about paving all the gravel roads. Unless they can cough up the money to do the work privately or pass a ballot measure raising taxes for the county road district no new blacktopping work will be done.

The cost of just six miles of asphalt would use up the entire annual budget for the road district in which I live, at approximately $60,000 per mile at 20 feet wide and precompacted thickness of six inches. Additionally, the upkeep to maintain the roads is approximately ten times that for a gravel road. I cover the road commissioner meetings and know these details firsthand. They also said they couldn't plow the roads like they do gravel, rather they would have to depend on salt and cinders to clear the road surface because the road graders would harm the surface if dropped as low as is needed for gravel.

The EPA is a herd of rabid pencil pushing idiots who can't make it in the real world so they figure they can make the lives a living hell for those who do make it.

I do have to say I want to see the EPA try to enforce all of this garbage. They can't enforce all the regulations they already have and now they want to do more?

14. big rockpile

I'm thinking alot of influence on things around here is the Tourist around here in the Summer.They have to deal with hills and curves.Then they feel the gravel is too much :shrug:

big rockpile

15. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Yes, and if the FTs (Fine Tourists...the nice way to translate the acronym) would just quit driving 60 mile per hour and over on gravel roads like they are driving the Indy 500 they might not damge their vehicles as much. Now, if the tourists want to pay for the road upgrades, they are certainly welcome to do so. However, I do not want to be paying for them when I don't want them or need them for my day to day life.

What makes me wonder is so many of the tourists that come to my part of the state, Lake of the Ozarks region, drive luxury four wheel drive sport utility vehicles, generally designed for off road travel, more so than my sedan. However, it is the tourists with those vehicles that want the asphalt, not myself who has a two wheel drive vehicle.

16. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Ya good for Nothing~!

17. big rockpile

We get the same ones you do_On the Niangua River.Where on any given weekend there is thousands of Campers,Canoes,and Horseback Riders.

big rockpile

18. tikaani

tikaani Well-Known Member

the gravel roads at my new locale is more like what you find at the bottom of a river. a good 8 inches deep of very large rocks. dust travels half mile on a normal day. when its windy the dust travels for more than a mile across the fields. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the local farmers that like to drive 65 and 70 mph on the road and kick up the dust.

19. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I live on a dirt road. The county calls it a gravel road. You can't find any gravel on it though. The county also says it is a two lane road. I sure hope the others on my road doesn't start driving like it is a two lane, someone is going to wind up with a damaged vehicle.

If the paved road is still icy, they must not have done anything to it, except to drive on it. They could use calcium and salt when the temp came up and it would have melted off. Cinders on it would also have helped. The salt brine that they put down may not have done any good this time as it may have stayed too wet and froze itself first. It is supposed to dry first before the snow and ice falls.

I would like to have a paved road in front of my house. The dust is really bad in the summer. :hobbyhors

20. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Fortunately the Road-work season is past.

And the roads will soon be smooth and filled flush once again, with ice; no more bumpy ripples and ruts. Yeah!

We are now in 'almost win-tah', soon to be 'win-tah', followed by 'still win-tah', and then 'road-work' again.