Grasshoppers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gccrook, May 24, 2004.

1. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I did a search, but did not find anything. I am being overrun by grasshoppers. Right now, they are very tiny, and already eating some of my leaves. Is there a way to get rid of them organically? I thought about putting my chickens in the garden, but figured they would do more damage to the plants than help. My chickens free range, but I do not know how to get help from them in the garden. Any other methods? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

What types of plants do you have in your garden? You may stick a few chickens in there. Maybe scatter some food. If you have greens they may eat them.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I haven't done this, but I read about someone who put a run around there garden for the chickens.....kind of like a border patrol. Two rows of fence, about 5 feet apart, all the way around the garden. That way, the chickens aren't in the garden, but they get the grasshoppers as they try to get to your veggies. Sounds like a neat idea.....maybe next year.

4. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

I was overrun with grasshoppers last year. I tried chickens, ducks, powder stuff (cant remember the name), home remedy of molasses and water in cups. I did searches on the web for remedies but nothing seemed to help.

The only thing I did learn is that grasshoppers tend to grow in waves. One year they will be super thick, next year barely there. There are certain conditions that promote grasshopper eggs hatching. A big hatch and you get what you have, lots of tiny buggers. They do have some sprays for them but the research I found said unless you plan on spraying an entire area ie: a mile radius +, that they wont do much good. A few of my plants didnt make it. After they get past a certain stage though the grasshoppers will leave them alone and eat other stuff.

Good luck and if you find anything that works let me know.

5. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I found some stuff that is supposed to be natural. It is Nosema Locustae which is a protozoa that is supposed to affect only grasshoppers. Makes them sick and they die. Says it takes a long time for much effect, but I do not want to spray pesticides. I can work long term if this works. Last year I had a fairly large population that destroyed one of my new apple trees. Will try to get the chickens penned around the garden if I can. Thanks.

6. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend who truck gardens (veggies for sale). She uses molassas mixed with water in a sprayer, sprays everything and for whatever reason the grasshoppers will not eat the plants so sprayed. I think she mixes 1-3 tablespoons of molassas in each gallon of water. Sure sved her tomatoes last year when the hoppers were eating the red tomatoes.

7. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

When I had a bad grasshopper year I found that they mostly eat the young, tender stuff. I covered my new seedings and seedlings with a reemay, (spun bonded polyester,) type row cover until they were unappealing to the grasshoppers. As long as there were no holes in the reemay and the edges were buried in soil, it kept them out.