Grasshoppers!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by starwalker, Jul 23, 2006.

1. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

I have been invaded by giant grasshoppers! We've been here 5 yrs and I've never seen anything like this. What do I use to protect my plants? Kill the grasshoppers? I got chickens but I can't let them out of their coops/runs.

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Sounds like its time to Mow the grass. :D
    Seriously thats the only time Ive seen the big ones.They like tall grass (2ft+).
    If you mow around the garden they might just leave it.
    My moms old horse pasture used to grow some monsters.They make great catfish bait.Just stuff them in a 2 liter coke bottle. ;) I used to mow strips threw it to make it easy to catch them.They don't like islands of grass (or your garden).

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Can you build a run around the garden? Put chickens in it. It is called a chicken moat and there has been a good bit of discussion about it on the poultry board.

4. starwalker

LMAO...The area that they are in is my flower bed right against my house. I do have very tall plants there. Canna's, Roses, Keys to Heaven and Zebra Hollyhock's. No tall grass. :p

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Starwalker: Im in middle tennessee and last year was a bad one for me with big grasshoppers (Plague of locusts). A large part of the problem was a weedy patch just next to the garden with tall grass. Now also the cows keep the pasture eaten down.

I had luck with planting my fall crops in August under netting. I am encouraging birds and I think that has really helped this year. Good luck!

6. starwalker

I am thinking about releasing a couple of roosters and see what happens. :rolleyes: I want to see if they wind up on the church door steps next door. :D Or if they are smart enough to stay away from the dogs perimeter. I hate to take the chance with the dogs tho. They are on chains. I don't think Max would bother with them but Molly is another story. :rolleyes:

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

We had a year like that in Texas a while back, and you have my sympathies!

What DIDN'T seem to work for me was the Nolo bait? Maybe because they just kept coming in from all around me?

What did help a lot was a very attractive (not) PVC frame over my garden that I first used nylon net to cover, bought about every WalMart in San Antonio, lol. Then when it rotted, I replaced it with bird netting which also worked pretty well.

Neem kills them, but it also kills good bugs, sigh, although it is organic. But it smells pretty horrifying.

Good luck! When I get bored I catch some and toss them to the chickens and man, I don't know who gets more out of that, me or them. It's pretty funny! Mine are run confined too, though, too many coons/skunks/feral cats, etc etc etc around here.

hollym

8. starwalker

lol...I'm going to try sevin. These things are so big a person can harness and ride um. :eek: Grasshopper Rodeo! :D

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Be careful with the seven around plants like cabbage.You cant get it all washed out when your ready to cook it.And even if you think you did, you'll no soon enough when it starts to boil.Don't ask me how i no. :D