Grasshoppers are everywhere in my garden...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by russellsmom, Jun 9, 2004.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

Besides spraying pesticides is there any better way of getting rid of them? I have little baby grasshoppers everywhere. I'd just spray them and hope for the best, but I'm afraid more grasshoppers will move in and take their place. (These grasshoppers are also in the yard and pastures) And I'm not real interested in spraying my entire property for grasshoppers.
    I've thought about grasshopper bait, but so far have not found a local supplier (I'm in PA) nor have I had much luck finding an online store (I really wanted that Nolo grasshopper bait that keeps reinfesting any new grasshoppers that would venture into the treated area.)
    I also thought about poultry (guineas possibly) and putting up chicken wire around the garden and letting them patrol the area. The only worry there I have is that the birds would eat my crops and not the insects I want them to eat or they would scratch up all the mulch I have down. The garden is large so it's not like the birds would be cramped, they'd have plenty of room. There's even a spot where a little shelter could be put up for them. Would Guineas or some other breed of poultry like to dine on these pesky grasshoppers?
    Any other ideas on how to get rid of the grasshoppers?

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

3. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I have heard that ducks do good work getting the grasshoppers down, and suppossedly dont eat the crops. I dont know, I have ducks and chickens. Never seen the ducks eat my garden, have seen the chickens.
    No grasshoppers either.

4. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

if i were you i'd build a chicken pen around the perimeter of your garden. (fenced garden inside your chicken pen) the chickens will eat any grasshoppers entering the pen froum the outside or exiting the garden. the populations will drop off pretty fast. also, you will have a close source of fertilizer from your chicken coop. you can even get fancy and have your chicken pen go all the way around your garden except for right in front of the door, then build your chicken coop into the fenceline at the back of the garden, with egg collection doors directly from the back of the garden into the chicken coop. then have a door into the run from outside the garden. either way, i'm sidetracking now, but have you ever seen chickens with a grasshopper? quite a sight i tell you!

justgojumpit

5. Guineas love grasshoppers and will not eat your garden plants. They will also eat all of your other bugs. And they are fun to have around.

6. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

I put on another post that something was destroying my garden. Some thought it might be flea beetles. On closer examination. They are baby grasshppoers. Millions of them and like russellsmom said, they are everywhere. In the grass, the weeds, and are destroying the garden.

I put guenia's in there one day, and they were eating something. They didn't bother the veg. But now, my corn is about 3-4 in tall. Will they eat that?

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

8. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Since you are in PA, am wondering if they might be the 17 year
    cicadas? They were "scheduled" for this year! My northern county
    was not expected to see them, however.

9. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

That's odd that you haven't seen cicadas. We have them everywhere, but they do not do any damage to anything but the trees they lay their eggs in.

10. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Guineas will strip EVERY pea and bean plant BARE. Chickens will take a bite or two out of EVERY tomato, baby squash, etc. I learned this the hard way.

I use Sevin. Organic gardening does NOT work and is very inefficient for production.

I am NOT going to "plant some for the wildlife" as some are wont to profess. :( There's plenty of stuff for them to eat OUT THERE without them destroying my garden. I work too hard around here to feed *THEM*. :)

Reb

11. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Our garden is fenced within the pasture where the chickens, ducks and geese can go all around it. The guineas fly over into it and then out...NO BUGS... Joan