Grasshoppers and lady beetles?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by yellowlab2, May 10, 2006.

1. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

We have about gotten the garden in for this year, and something is eating the early plants already. :flame: We have lady beetles all over the place, and I believe that none are of the two detrimental type. I just noticed yesterday evening a ton (and I mean a ton) of little grasshoppers. They are really little, maybe 3/8" big. Are these what are eating my plants? I don't want to spray and kill my lady beetles. The little plants are too small still to let the chickens in unattended, and the guineas have proved to be way better plant eaters than bug eaters. And the guineas seem to want to spend most of the day across the road at the neighbors anyway. What to do???? Thanks. Bob and Sandy

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I would get the grasshoppers to go across the street.

3. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I would guess that the grass hoppers are eating your garden. It's hard to spray and not kill the beneficials. Hope for some cold rainy weather, that will knock them back. Tell me about the derimental lady beetles, I've never heard of that!

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I use mosquito netting over the cole crops the grasshoppers and moths prefer.