Grass Root Depth ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Dandy, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about some Soysia sod someday within the next year or maybe two to go around the perimeter of the house at grade(ground) level. My question is how many inches in depth of dirt is enough for the average mature grass roots to live long term ? 14" ? 24" ???
    Whats safe ?
    Thanks

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

You can grow grass on pavement as long as it gets watered everyday. I've done it and had to mow it once every week all summer. So depth of soil isn't a factor at all unless you get a drought and don't water it. The deeper that the water penetrates into the soil, the safer the roots will be from drought as the roots will follow the water. Some grasses need more water than other types.

3. Randy Dandy

Thank you for putting that in perspective. I'm asking because a particular place around a new house construction backfill area.
    Thanks again.

4. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

We live on a plot that was mostly sandy clay. When the house was built (some 50 years ago) the plot was dressed with about 6" of dirt and seeded. As the rains have come and the wind has blown we have lost some of that - adn now we have patches where the grass simply cannot survive in the clay.....Some places responded well to top dressing wiht dirt - but others really need to be dug out and refiled.

Depending on what the composition of the fill and area earth is, more may be better.

It's lots easier to do it now than to sprinkle dirt on by the half inch later.

5. Randy Dandy

Thanks for the advice. Most of the backfill will be around 2' deep but in the area I was referring to I will try to keep it at least 1' deep. I don't want to have to do it again later.
    Thanks