Grass ID

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Could someone point me to a photo id of canary grass? I think I have it around my house but am not sure. ALL of my animals-doonkeys, chickens, rabbits- HATE it with a passion and I would like to know for sure what it is. Or does anyone know what kind it may be??? It looks like a timothy or orchard grass but NO ONE eats it. Thanks! Will a cow eat it??

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

3. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks! That is the grass I have! Now to figure out what animal will eat it.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Horses and rabbits will eat canary grass but it would be a bit far along right now. Around here, it was often called marsh hay. You'd want to cut it about when the seed heads begin to form. I know one local farm where they've been able to cut and bale twice this year during the drought conditions. That would be for hay. Some years, the only cutting is after the ground has frozen solid. I suspect that that is used for stable straw or mulch.

I still have a stand of it growing in a corner beside the driveway. It's been there for at least 30 years. As long as I keep mowing off any new shoots, it remains right where it isn't bothering anything else and becomes a nice showy ornamental grass.

Martin