Grapevines-Need info

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 17, 2004.

1. I bought some of those grapes they are selling at Lowes right now(Concords). I live in zone 6 and my yard gets sun from sun up till sundown. I'm just wondering how long it will be before we get any grapes from these plants? Will it be years or this year? Thanks for any answers!! Oops, Forgot to say thay are 2-yr plants!

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

probably not this year. if u want maximum production, u really should read up on pruning. there's tricks to it, in order to get the greatest yield.

3. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Grape plants generally take 5-7 yrs to bear fruit that they will keep. They first bear fruit then drop it before they bear fruit and keep it...very frustrating, but the way of the grape...sigh.

4. Thanks for answering...5 to 7 yrs --I'll die from frustration!!! By the way, this is The Funny Farm, don't know why I can't stay logged in!

5. waltseed

waltseed Member

I would expect fruit next year, if you baby them.
    sure they won't have theri roots down far enough to stand neglect, but if watered regular, and especially don't let them dry out or they might drop their fruit.
    To get fruit this fast, you will have to treat the vine like a tomato plant, weed-free, fertilised but not too much nitrogen, etc.
    My Mars plant that I got bare-root by mail gave fruit its first year. I would not expect less from Concord.
    Walter

6. The Funny Farm

The Funny Farm Active Member

Hey Walter,
    Thank you for giving me some hope at least!! I don't mind babying the vines as long as theres a chance of grapes! I guess I'd better get some more raspberrys planted so I'll at least have some kind of fruit to put up.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Grapes - 101

Grapes need to cross pollenate with different species of grapes, they will not produce if there is only one species.

The first year you will get folage only, train it to run your trellace as you wish to. This comming fall while dormant, trim away any thing smaller that a pencil by sniping it at 2 noduals beyond a 'Y' fork, away from the root system. Grapes only come from new growth, each vine must be trimmed every year to have grapes the following spring. Adequate water is needed at all times, grapes become very thirsty while growing.

8. The Funny Farm

Thanks moopups, I haven't had much time for reading about pruning them yet. Our local County extension office seems to be pretty helpful as far as sending out booklets on animals and gardening etc so I'm planning on giving them a call this week. I've got my arbor all ready to plant. It's approx. 12 feet long and 3 feet wide, 5 1/2 feet high. I wonder how much growth i'll have on the vines this summer? I can still taste the juice my grandma use to make from hers... nothing in a jar comes close to that!!

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    TFF, you need about that much trellace per plant! Grapes can grow 20 feet in one season, remember to form them to the trellace as they grow. Use strips of cloth or some other soft thing to tie them.

10. FLFKY

FLFKY Active Member

moopups,

does it matter which types of grapes get cross pollinated? I just ordered 6 vines, 2 of each species. So I should mix them around and not plant the two same species together?

11. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Well, TFF and Mike, I hate to post conflicting info, but Concord (like almost all bunch grape varieties) does not need a pollinizer, although I believe that some (but not all) Muscadines do.

Mike, what varieties (I suspect that you mean varieties when you said species) did you order?

12. The Funny Farm

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    WOW!!!
    I guess I better tell hubby the bad news that we need more trellis space!!!! I had no idea they'd grow so much in one year. I knew eventually I'd need more arbor but not quite so soon!! Thanks for all the good info. Kathy

PS-- Should I train the vines around the supports or just alongside of it?

13. FLFKY

FLFKY Active Member

Steve,

I ordered these types -
    Marechal Foch Grapes
    DeChaunac Grapes
    Seneca Grapes

Any info you have on them would be greatly appreciated...!

-Mike

14. Steve L.

Kathy wrote -

"I've got my arbor all ready to plant. It's approx. 12 feet long and 3 feet wide, 5 1/2 feet high."

Why only 5 1/2 feet high, and how many support posts?

"Should I train the vines around the supports or just alongside of it?"

I assume you mean alongside of the supports. Yes, that's what I'd do. It'll make trunk replacement easier in the future, if you need to do that. How many vines do you have?

Mike,

I've had wines made from both Foch and DeChaunac, and while I like DeChaunac better, they both make reasonably good wine. They both tend to over-crop (especially DeChaunac), so you'll probably need to thin. I like the flavor of Seneca, and I don't mind the seeds. All three varieties have a trailing growth habit, so they work well on an arbor or high wire system.

15. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Howdy all! I have 3 Concord grape vines. I agree that they need lots of space! I only have the 3 Concord vines and they didn't have a pollinator. They give me more grapes than I can even can in one season! I made 56 quarts of grape juice last year and that is concentrated...so enough for 56 half gallons! I gave LOTS of them away too! That juice IS Great stuff! I have another confession...although I know you are supposed to prune them every year...I haven't ever messed with them. They are on an arbor and part of the fence and I would guess that they stretch about 40 feet all together. Maybe more??? They gave me grapes the second year...but they were these eeeny stick like things that I got bare root at 5 for 9.00. 2 didn't make it that I planted in the backyard, but the three in full sun did great! I water mine when I water the garden. I did have to give them some added support year before last because they get really heavy when they produce all of those grapes. Not great for fresh eating...but terrific for juice and jelly! Hope your's do great! Blessings! Nan

16. The Funny Farm

Steve L,
    My whole arbor is welded metal, basically its heavy enough that you could do anything on it (I'm thinking about having him weld some swing supports on the underside so I can have a shady place to sit and rest). It ain't goin anywhere soon! :haha: We were afraid to use pressure treated because of the chemicals in it and didn't want to have to replace it every few yrs so went with metal. It's actually 6 ft high (went and measured). Its that height because thats how much was sticking up after we set it deep for stability. Just used what we had instead of spending money we need for other things.

Nan,
    That is a whole lotta grape juice!!!!!!!! Sounds wonderful!!! Thanks for the good wishes, Kathy

17. Steve L.

Kathy -
    So, six feet high, eh? That's the "standard" height for most grape trellis. I only asked because I think of a grape arbor as covering an outside living space, and that just seemed a little low. A welded steel frame like that should hold up well. If the arbor is really high, it makes for hard picking and pruning.

Nan -
    How did you make your juice?

18. The Funny Farm

Well, now I have a different problem-- I just looked at my grapevines and they are green and growing and it's way too cold to plant them out yet. What should I do in the meantime? And when CAN I plant them now? (Zone 6 WV)
    They are leafing out while still in their plastic bags...HELP!!! :waa: :waa:

19. Steve L.

Kathy, how many are there? Are they bare-root, or potted? How have you been storing them?

20. The Funny Farm

Hey Steve,
    Theres 4 of them and they are in plastic bags that have soil in them. I had them in the basement where it is cool and dark but evidently not dark or cool enough... Could I put them in buckets of dirt until its warmer outside? Should I give them some miracle grow or something so they don't starve? It was 45 here today but nights are still real cold. Easter flowers just now poking through as well as rubarb. Basically all the plants I bought at Lowes are now growing, wondering if it was the heat at Lowes that started them growing. This includes wisteria, the grapes and the raspberries too! Kathy