Grapes Alive!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Aug 19, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

My DD and I went out to put out bear bait and do a little scouting today. We found a huge patch of grape vines. Tremendous clusters of large wild grapes. In a half an hour, we picked about 7 gallons of grapes! I was thinking about making wine, but decided they would better be put to use as Jelly. Any tips or recipes?

(CF, I know this is the wrong forum, but the grapes are fresh, and I want the thread to get some traffic)

Thanks

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

if you are into using liquid pectin, the certo website has recipes and they are also usually printed on the package.

when make jelly and use liquid pectin, i do a web search for "certo liquid pectin (fruit) jelly" and i usually find a recipe.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Lucky you. What a bonanza! Enjoy your jelly.

NeHi Mama

4. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

You might find wild grapes require more sugar to be sweet enough. They can be rather sour.

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I knew an old guy that made good wine every year, he used 1/2 wild and 1/2 tame grapes. :dance:

6. tinknal

They are tart, but not sour. When I make anything, I usually do it by taste, so there will be enough sugar. Had a hot dry summer here, must be good for grapes.

Thanks

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

If you really want to make something good try easy grape juice....take two cups whole washed grapes,place in qt. jar...add l cup sugar,fill with boiling water water,kinda swirl jar around to mix the sugar/water --can in hot water bath about 20 minutes. Then set aside until Dec. or so....yum.I pour thru strainer and you can cut with 1/2 water if juice too strong for you. Chickens sure enjoy those grapes in the winter! DEE who says be sure and pull jars straight out of the canner until bottom hits the cold air...a broken jar of grape juice is a wayyyyyy big mess on your stove...ask her how she knows!!

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'll over look your indescretion on one condition. I want you to go out and GPS that grape patch and send me the coordinates...pronto!

9. tinknal

LOL, I got 10 quarts of Jelly. Theres plenty of unexplored berry pickin' around CF, I'm game if you are!

10. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow!,

You are lucky to find a good crop of wild grapes. We make jelly every year from wild grapes, the flavor is awesome and can't compare to tame grapes.

We pick all the individual grapes off the stems, smash in a stainless kettle with a potato masher, cook on the stove, and then squeeze through cheese cloth, following the directions on the sure jell recipe.

We make the freezer jelly that has the flavor to die for!

11. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Y'all are making my mouth water!!!! I think the deer around here are getting all the wild grapes. I only found a handful.
    - Kathy

12. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

sounds like you did ok with the jelly. care to share the recipe?

also, i think a poster named vicker (or like that) posted a good generic recipe that relied on cooking the jelly to a certain temperature and checking the consistency on a plate before packing it. it was within the past few weeks on the cooking forum i think. it reminded me that the cooking termometer i bought to cook maple syrup actually has a "jelly stage" somewhere on the scale.