Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom recieved a box of 10 big ones for Christmas,no one here eats them,I cant since I take BP meds.I have made orange marmalade,think grapefruit marmalade would be good?I did send 5 over to my niece awhile ago,goodness I hope she dont send them back:happy:

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I love grapefruit and take BP meds, too. I asked my doc about this recently and he said it's really only a problem when you have it quite often. The occasional one is fine. I take that to mean if I have one every ten days or two weeks that it's OK. But yes I know you can make grapefruit into preserves. I did it years ago.

Jennifer

·
Registered
77 Posts
Only certain types of BP meds react negatively with grapefruit. Google is your friend. Check for food reactions for your particular prescription.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You're not suppose to eat grapefruit if you take BP medicine?
It depends on the medication. My husband takes 5 BP meds and a cholesterol med.....the cholesterol med and one BP med say on the label not to take with grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice enhances some medications to be even more potent, I believe.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Only certain types of BP meds react negatively with grapefruit. Google is your friend. Check for food reactions for your particular prescription.

You really should check with your doctor rather than reling on google for this.
Not being snarky.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I made grapefruit marmalade last year when DH brought home what seemed like a few tons of it from work. Unfortunately I'm the only one who eats it since no one else likes grapefruit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't take your medication with grapefruit juice. Having a half grapefruit before dinner as an appetizer, for example, is fine if you take your BP meds in the morning. You can check on the official internet site of the medication that you are taking, or call your doctor. I take BP meds and gave away all the ones growing on my tree out of fear of that rumour for a couple years until I took the time to get the proper information. Now I enjoy grapefruit in a salad during this season.

Section a grapefuit, put it on a bed of lettuce with a little red onion. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, add a little salt and pepper.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Ball Canning Book has a great recipe for grapefruit marmalade and a citrus marmalade. I am in the process of making the citrus marmalade. Let me know if you need a recipe.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I just made up a batch of orange/grapefruit marmalade yesterday. It's delish!

i have enough oranges to do another batch just like it, but I'm still going to have a whole pile of grapefruits left. I'm thinking grapefruit-only marmalade would also be quite good. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts