grape vines

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MN Mom, Sep 27, 2005.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Just moved to our new place and there is a old large grape tunnel (think single car garage with chicken wire for walls). There is a lot of old growth and what is new growth does not show much for grapes. the grapes that are there are blueberry sized and very tart (wine grapes maybe).

I am thinking maybe thinning it all and letting it grow back and see what I get.

Is it best to trim it all the way to the ground or should I leave more stem?

I am located by Mora MN so if any MN grape growers can send so area advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

In South Dakota, I had good results rejuvenating very old vines by totally trimming to about 8 inches give or take above the ground. Go just above the offshoots/diagonal cuts. Then, I kept doing that every year. You can prune anytime up until the new growth starts in the spring and still get a good crop of fruit. Save what you trim for making grapevine wreaths and crafts, otherwise you can hack it up and compost it.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Grapes need to be trimed back every year in order to have new growth for the grapes. Cut any pencil size or less branch at the second nodule away from all 'Y's".

4. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

I was told you should trim the vine only from january to the first day in March, I always did my in January, what you guys think? :nerd: