Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 grape vines of mine got mowed down by good intention sons. They were 2 years old and had clusters of grapes on them. They are cut off at the ground. Is there any hope for them? What do I need to do? Shooting the sons is not an option, at this point anyway, may become one according to the answers I get. Help please to save my grapes and the sons.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
They'll probably come back. Might try a lil fertilizer ...

My goats have eaten mine down to the ground a few times ... whoops!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willow_girl said:
They'll probably come back. Might try a lil fertilizer ...

My goats have eaten mine down to the ground a few times ... whoops!
Do you mean the grape vines, or the sons, will probaly come back?

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
If it has a green bud close to the ground it will come out. You will probably have three or four new shoots starting to grow.What I would do is keep all but two pruned back so the new shoots will grow faster, then next spring, when the buds began to swell, pick the best shoot for the trunk and cut the other one back. Then train the trunk up a stake to the wire .One other thing,keep all grass and weeds clear of the trunk. Oh and lawn mowers. LOL Why not give your sons the job of keeping around each trunk weed free, that way they will know where every vine is located.LOL :)

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,476 Posts
Put long pieces of rebar into the ground around the grape vine stems. That way you kill the lawn mower instead of the kids. :)

Most likely they will come back.

A couple of years ago, Hubby used the bush hog on 10 trees I had just planted. I think it's a testosterone thing. :grump:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Actually, Hubby and I was just talking about this. We have mowed and weed whacked so many tree and bushes but, they always come back better than ever. Our 2 citrus trees froze and died during the big coastal snow a few years back, we mowed them down and planned on replacing them but they came back up and by the end of the summer they were bigger than when they died.
Give them a little time and see what happens.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,476 Posts
Huzzy, I sent you a PM.

Rose

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Grapes are tough. They'll grow back.

RF

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Funny, when my city boy husband married me and moved in, we had this problem several times, until we established that lawnmowers were not for trees, bushes and giant boulders.

As I was inclined to keep him, we had to have various learning sessions until such time as he mostly understood. 24 years later, we still have an occasional return to 'not understanding'.

the grapes... may be just fine. Watch carefully and I second the rebar thing...
Depending on the age of the chaps, and the situation (if it was hard to tell the grapevines from other tall stuff they were in charge of removing), they might get to do a little homework on caring for grapes or something like that. This is an excellent time to bult an arbor...if you don't have one.

I've always said, I'd rather have the kids/dh than whatever it was they could do it... as long as it wasn't mean or deliberately destructive.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I've tried and tried to kill many of the wild grape vines growing on my place with the brush hog, round-up, you name it. No luck, so I'm betting on yours to come back. I refer to mine as the "grapes of wrath".

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They will probably come back, better than ever.

But I do wonder what your 2 year-old sons were doing playing with the lawn mower? If that is what your post really meant, I might be very thankful they didn't mow themselves down.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
KCM said:

But I do wonder what your 2 year-old sons were doing playing with the lawn mower? If that is what your post really meant, I might be very thankful they didn't mow themselves down.
But it does say that her sons have clumps of grapes on them -- maybe she doesn't need the vines any more!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

L

·
0 Posts
KCM said:

I think she meant the vines were 2 years old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts