Grape Vine ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ed in S. AL, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

How many grape vines should I plant in order to provide enough grapes for a family of 4? Wanting grapes for eating, juice and jelly. Was going to plant the Concord grapes.

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't tell you how many to plant, but I do know that you can get, seedless corcord grapes. I have one, it's not as heavy a producer as other varieties. Thompson seedless, really puts out the grapes to and makes great raisins.
    lacyj

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Ed:

You have asked the unanswerable question. Grape vines just keep on growing and if in a good location one might cover a whole tree, producing two or three washtubsful of grapes. Grown on a trellis as the commercial growers do I would count on about ten to twenty pounds per vine.

Thompson seedless grapes do not grow here (they freeze) but in Corpus Christi I saw a carport made by placing concrete rewire over a frame. A Thompson seedless vine was planted beside it and covered the entire carport. Clusters of grapes hung down below the wire where they got plenty of shady breeze and did not develop mildew or disease. The fellow probably had a couple of hunded pounds of grapes there. I've read of grapevines covering an acre of ground. I've seen grapes that had grown over trees, the trees died and the grapevines stood alone like a big termite mound.
    Ox

4. I dont have the web site, but google " Ison's nursery"- they have a question and answer forum. They also sell high quality vines- check them out- I have been pleased with them and their plants.

5. Dear Ed---I was new to Grapes,I went to major stores in my areas bought grapes planted them,wasted about 6 years with bad result,started searching,why my grapes gives me only troubles,no grapes ---found out --that the most important in,growing grapes is to start with the right varieties,for your area,so,reaserch,reaserch,reaserch.I can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,'t,tell you what variety will work in Alabama,but i can tell you that very few,and concord is not the one.Alabama is hot,humid rainy,and grapes deaseses will flourish,---You need the most deasese resistent grapes.Now that you know what to do ,please don't try to learn the hard way.Your gardener body--vasile--

6. 5TR-Apiary

5TR-Apiary Active Member

Ed, have you thought about Muscadine grapes? They are easy to grow, almost pest free and are great for fresh eating and jams and jellies! I have 4 vines at my house and (12 at my farm) The 4 vines are all I need for my family.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Be aware that grapes need certain species to cross polleniate with in order to produce grapes. A grape vine will not bear unless the species are compatable; there are charts in nursery magazines stateing what crosses with what. Also, grape vines need to be cut back every fall, you only get grapes from new growth.