grape vine leaves?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Debara, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Debara

Debara Well-Known Member

Would anyone know if it is harmful for the goats to eat grape vine leaves. I think they might be wild grape vines. Our two little Pygmy goats have been eating them every time we let them. Well, I just discovered little berries on these vines the other day. I really do not think it is a good idea to let the boys continue eating these vines? Any opinions? :shrug: Thank you, DEB

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I know when I had goats, they ate and loved the muscadine vines( sountern native grape w/ tough skin), leaves and grapes. They never got sick and they would 'strip' my grape vine if they could get to it.. I read a little diddy somewhere how people found out that pruning was really good for the grapevine...There was a vineyard owner, who's wife had goats and one day the got in the vineyard and ate all the vines down to the main cord. and he thought all was lost but the next yr. he's vines were load with more grapes than he had ever seen in his life.........

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If they truly are grape vines, then the goats will love them and there is no harm in them.

4. Debara

Debara Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about goats eating air potatoes? Are the leaves or the potatoes poisonous? I have heard different things about the potatoes. Thanks, DEB