Grape tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moopups, Mar 18, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Just tried my first yesterday, tiny, sweet, about the size of a childs marble. A burst of flavor that fits inside the mouth whole. Anybody know where to get seeds?

Research says its a cross between roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes; the actual size makes them illegal some places that size restrictions apply. Also, apparently the plants from the seeds of the fruit lose their traits after a couple of generations, so the seeds that produce them must be recultured year after year. Any info?

2. Bishaj

Bishaj Active Member

I'm planting a variety called "christmas grapes" that I ordered from Burpee. I just checked their site and that seems to be the only grape tomato they offer, the rest are cherry type. If you want I can mail you a few seeds since I'm only planting a couple since I understand they have pretty heavy yeilds.

John

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I will pm address, have a lot of varity here conserning seeds, what do you need?

Also just did a search for grape tomatoes and found some other info from previous posts. The varity I was munching on are labeled F1, named Santa.

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Try them dried they are like lil raisins but lil tomatoes yummy!!! I planted those last year you can get starts too if you look around. But get there early!!

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Of all the toms I have grown, the little pear (yellow) toms were the ones that came back to visit year, after year, after year.... They ripen so fast, you can't get them all if you have lots of plants. THey get lost in all the wonderful bushy leaves, and pretty much plant themselves! Once you have a plant established, you will be gifted year after year with them.

6. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

If you're talking about the "Santa F1" grape tomatoe that you can buy at sam's club, costco, walmarts, and grocery stores ... Well, you actually can't purchase seed commercially this year. Some patent bruhaha.

But, if you want to start your own, just take the seeds out of one of your yummy mater's and plant them. I've read, at the garden web tomatoe forum, The Santa variety (and most F1's) are will grow true about 90 something % of the time in the F2 generation.

HTH,

Nikki

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

...just don't let anyone know you did it, because some of the seed company's such as Burpees, sue for sewing seeds that were not purchased from them, and in this case, they would have been obtained illegally.

One reason why I will only plant heirloom, from now on. Seed saving is a centuries old thing, and they are trying to pattent it!!!

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Juliette variety tomato was one of the All American Selection winnners several years ago. I'm a big fan of them and the seed is readily available at most seed sales stands that carry any tomato variety.

The winners of the AAS trials should do well anywhere within the U.S. under nearly any conditions. That is the beauty of selecting an AAS winnner whether tomato or other crop.

9. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

The original grape tomato was grown in Plant City, FL (we used to live there). When they first came out (and for at leat 2 years after that) the seeds were not available. I honestly do not know if you can get them now or not. However, they grow fine from seeds you harvest yourself out of tomatoes that you bought. I have a friend that is on his 3rd year and they are still doing fine.

michele

10. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

What will they come up with next!?!?!?!?!

11. Bishaj

Bishaj Active Member

Got your PM Moopups and I'll get the seeds out shortly. No exchange is necessary, it's my honor. My Dad was a Corps nam vet whom I lost two years ago. Semper Fi

12. arhillbilly

arhillbilly Member

I bought a packet of Grape tomatoe seeds at Wal Mart. Started them in my greenhouse, what the mice didn't are starting to look pretty good. Can't wait to put them in th garden.
    Gina

13. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Isn't that the most insane thing you have ever heard! You know, when I purchase a plant, seeds, or just about anything else, I think it's fairly reasonable for me to assume that I have purchased the right to do with that plant as I please, and that I have purchased "every" part of that plant.

I'm with you though, I'm moving toward an all heirloom garden to avoid all this nonsense.

Nikki

14. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

I received my seeds (FREE!) from our wonderful fellow HT member, Paquebot. He offered a wide selection of seeds. (See post at the top of the Gardening forum "Free Seeds are Back"). I started my seeds indoors a few weeks ago and they are coming along very nicely. Looking forward to those wonderful little grape tomatoes, and I will have plenty for sharing as well! Paquebot is a blessing to us all!

15. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If you have a plant with fruit that is especially good, you can take cuttings of the plant and keep it going indefinitely. Every time your plants are getting too big, take cuttings and chop the plant way back. I have had plants come back after being cut almost to the roots and continue bearing the second year and had new plants from the cuttings. Unfortunately I moved and could not continue. But I have heard of greenhouse growers that continue the same stock year after year doing this.

16. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Tell them you ate it and oops....look what was growing in the outhouse :p

Birds are big for stealing my grape tomatoes (Juliette) Think Burpee will sue them when they recycle the seeds?? :D