Grape supports

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Do any of you grow grapes? If so, did you make your own supports? I will be building whatever we decide to grow them on, but I'd like a general idea about the pros and cons of a wooden trellis or arbor vs. wire. We live in Ohio and will be starting with three plants (they are supposed to be shipped March 28th), in case that makes any difference.

2. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I used a section of cattle panel. I set 4 posts and left about 6 inches above the ground. I then fastened the panel between them making a nice arched support. I planted a different variety on each side, it has worked quite well for about 7 years.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Field fence with tposts is what I've used.

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We sunk two 6x6" posts and strung heavy guage wire between with tensioners in the lines to tighten up when needed as grapevines get really heavy. Has held up for over 10 years. DEE

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We just built ours last year. We looked at a bunch of different methods, and then combined two, to give us the results we wanted.

The uprights are 4x4's, and the crosspieces atop them are also 4 x 4's (hubby saw tooooo many with 2 x 4's that warped under the weight) There are wires for two levels running between the uprights, to do the classic wire strung thing. Then, there are 2 x 4's on edge across the top, so that some leaders of each plant can have some ramble space later on...to make an arbor for grandkids to play :D . So, we'll have the properly trained on wire grapes, and then a little running wild later on.

Since we want them for table grapes, a bit of jelly, and a bit of wine, and have no intention of selling grapes, this appears to be sufficient for our future needs. I'll let you know in ten years or so.

Meg