Grape question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by whitewolf, May 11, 2006.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

I am wanting to start some grapes and muscedimes. My question is do I have to worry about putting the arbors too close to each other. Do grapes cross pollinate like some other plants do? Thanks.

Whitewolf

2. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Hey,neighbor.I live in MS,too.I'm not sure if they will cross pollinate,but it doesn't matter, as long as you aren't intending to propogate new plants from the seeds of the offspring.Your muscadine vines will grow muscadines,and your grape vines will grow grapes.If you intend to propagate new vines,and your stock isn't grafted,you can propagate them by way of layering,and it's very easy to do.
    Nick

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Swamp is right on the money.

4. whitewolf

Thanks guys! I need to read up on this, but was trying to decide where to put the arbors this year and haven't had time to sit down and study all this out. Hi Swampman! So there is someone else from MS on here.....sounds like you may be down south.....your name and all....I am way, way up north in the hills. Nice to meet ya! Ya'll have a nice day and thanks again.

Whitewolf

5. DrBraeburn

DrBraeburn Well-Known Member

a tip on grapes when you plant your vines get steel shavings no oil on them nails Not coated nailsany kind of metal that will rust away in the ground bury a circle of them around your vines about 6 or 8 inches away Grapes love iron rust

6. swamp man

Hi,WW.You guessed right-I'm way out in the bushes outside of Petal,which is outside of Hattiesburg.I have some roots up in north MS,though-Starkville,mostly.I go up for a visit every coupla' months,and will always be a die-hard MSU fan(If you're an ole' Miss fan,I'll forgive you. :) )
    Good luck with those grapes.

7. pepper

pepper Well-Known Member

hullo!
    i'm in between you two down in rankin co. & i have a muscadine question also.

do either of you know where i can find Simple trellis plans-instuctions or buy ready made arbor metal? posts ->the t shaped or y or some such?
    i impulse bought a pair of muscadines from the madison co-op & they are still in the pots. i relized after i brought them home i could not plant them along the fence if i wanted to ever eat any of the grapes myself....

& about polination & muscadines, some vines are self fertile & some need to be polinated by another musc. variety, you may already know this but it was news to me until the nursery lady checked my plant names in her book to make sure i would make a crop when she found out these were to be my only vines.

8. swamp man

Hi,Pepper.I didn't know about the cross-pollination.The woods around my house are full of wild vines,so maybe my muscadines are crossing with them.
    As for an arbor,mine is just t-posts,with a salvaged piece of hog wire fencing stretched across.It serves it's purpose,but in retrospect,two horizontal wires wires woulda' been the way to go,and would stay out of the way of the pruners easier.T-posts and wire is all you need.Do a google search for the "kniffen system",and you'll find out all you need to know.
    Aint Rankin co up around Jackson?

9. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We made a nice arbor out of two cattle panels. We bent them into an arch and held them together with hog rings. We actually bent them over a new swing we bought for the shade the grape vines will provide to the swing and for the fruit itself. Rita

10. whitewolf

Now that's an idea Rita.....hmmmmmm....wonder if I could accomplish that. Thanks for making the old wheels in the head turn.

Hey Pepper! I am located in Benton Co., and before you say "WHERE?"...(most people do)....I am stuck between Marshall and Tippah with the TN state line looming over the top of my county.

Whitewolf

11. pepper

pepper Well-Known Member

i ruled out the usual overhead 'arbor' effect type trelises, i do know what that would feel like to prune...owww.

so thank you ! the 2 wire kniffin it will be. wire & t-posts & fence post driver i have ready & waiting.
    yeah mr. swamp man ,the madison co-op is in canton which is closer to me the way these 'cow path' roads are laid out, don't know about how the crow flies...

& ms.whitewolf i do know where benton county be, my dads family comes from union. & i printed out that way cool county map from the mississippi market bulletin so i could keep up with the weather alerts & see if the drive was worth it for buying from an ad in the bulletin w/out going to mapquest every time.